Valvoline Restore & Protect 5w-30 (Gonna Take a Chance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the trouble is knowing whether you have a problem or not.

The most obvious example right here is that at 21k miles on a 2022 that gets regular oil changes with good oil, definitely no problem to solve. Pick a decent oil for the application and continue on for years.

Sometimes you might have a sludge issue that you're not aware of though....My truck is a 2005 Silverado with 254k miles on an engine that is not known to have many issues.
As long as I've been working for the company of got oil changes every 3-5k miles but I don't know what it got before my boss but it at around 100k, however it runs great.

If I was to ask on here, what oil I should use....the most typical response is "just stick with whatever it's been using, obviously it works". Well in my case, the previous maintenance wasn't working, at least before I got the truck. I only had minor reason to suspect a problem.....a puff of blue smoke on startup occasionally. It used a qt of oil in 3k miles. Oil stayed clean looking on the dipstick right up to oil change time. Seems like bad valve seals right? Well there is a known issue with the valve cover/PCV....so let's order a new valve cover and swap it out......holy carp....sludge city (by my standards).
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Hk8c1DNVo7m1ch88
After I replaced that valve cover and scraped as much of the sludge out that I could, oil usage dropped to nothing between oil changes, at least not enough to need topped up. That was

Good example. But again, you don’t particularly know the previous history. So you don’t know how it was treated, mechanical issues before hand, etc.

So hypothetically speaking, let me ask some questions;

Would Valvoline RP fix those issue's you have? For sure? If so, how and why? If not, why?

Would Mobil 1 Dexos approved product, fix those issue? If so, how and why? If not, why?

Would any boutique brand (amsoil, HPL, redline, etc) fix those issues? If so, how and why? If not why not?

Again, I’m not saying this is bad oil. Use it if you want to. All I’m saying is don’t buy into marketing. To me, things like your example, show negligence to preventative maintenance. And I see engines apart all the time. I also sell literally tens of millions of gallons of all sorts of oil. Your example screams to me someone didn’t do basic preventative maintenance before you got it. Or there was a mechanical issue that end unaddressed. In which cases nothing the oil can do.

Do these oils get sold to car dealerships and shops?

Yup.

Just Tuesday I got asked if we could match a $5.50 gallon price, delivered to a customer on 5w20/5w30. To a quick lube.

I literally laughed at my employee. That’s below our cost.

It’s off spec product. It’s out there every day. And the consumer gets screwed on it.

Good example. But again, you don’t particularly know the previous history. So you don’t know how it was treated, mechanical issues before hand, etc.

So hypothetically speaking, let me ask some questions;

Would Valvoline RP fix those issue's you have? For sure? If so, how and why? If not, why?

Would Mobil 1 Dexos approved product, fix those issue? If so, how and why? If not, why?

Would any boutique brand (amsoil, HPL, redline, etc) fix those issues? If so, how and why? If not why not?

Again, I’m not saying this is bad oil. Use it if you want to. All I’m saying is don’t buy into marketing. To me, things like your example, show negligence to preventative maintenance. And I see engines apart all the time. I also sell literally tens of millions of gallons of all sorts of oil. Your example screams to me someone didn’t do basic preventative maintenance before you got it. Or there was a mechanical issue that end unaddressed. In which cases nothing the oil can do.
Well in my example I had already been using an oil that will definitely not allow any more sludge to build up (at least now that the PCV system can flow again), and is known to potentially clean things up anyway. Otherwise I would have switched from whatever I was using, to something that could potentially clean better. Then I kept my oil changes down to 3-4k miles, for the next couple years. Going closer to 5k miles now after more than 2 years. So far we haven't proven whether or not this Valvoline actually helps clean or not, so I wouldn't bother with it at this point, but I'm here because I'm curious.

My engine doesn't require anything special as far as spec goes, but it has high miles and potentially some wear, plus gets started in very cold temperatures, so I went with M1 0w40 because it has to be decent oil to meet the stringent requirements of specs like Porche, BMW, Audi, etc.....if it can keep those things going for 100k miles it might keep my truck going for 400k miles. I could go with a Dexos oil because that's what GM specifies for a lot of engines, but it's a lesser oil and I can't un-know that.

As for the preventative maintenance on my engine, absolutely it had to have gotten neglected by the first owner. But people neglect vehicles this way every day, and every day people buy previously neglected vehicles. Maybe the moral of the story is that everyone should get a borescope and stick it down into the valve cover before buying, or before deciding how frequently to change their oil going ahead.

Yup.

Just Tuesday I got asked if we could match a $5.50 gallon price, delivered to a customer on 5w20/5w30. To a quick lube.

It’s off spec product. It’s out there every day. And the consumer gets screwed on it.
That explains so much, like folks with lifter issues, or other engine issues. They come on forums and say: "But, but, I did all my oil changes at the dealer, at the recommended interval." All dealerships might not be evil, but they're all greedy, for sure.

Well in my example I had already been using an oil that will definitely not allow any more sludge to build up (at least now that the PCV system can flow again), and is known to potentially clean things up anyway. Otherwise I would have switched from whatever I was using, to something that could potentially clean better. Then I kept my oil changes down to 3-4k miles, for the next couple years. Going closer to 5k miles now after more than 2 years. So far we haven't proven whether or not this Valvoline actually helps clean or not, so I wouldn't bother with it at this point, but I'm here because I'm curious.

My engine doesn't require anything special as far as spec goes, but it has high miles and potentially some wear, plus gets started in very cold temperatures, so I went with M1 0w40 because it has to be decent oil to meet the stringent requirements of specs like Porche, BMW, Audi, etc.....if it can keep those things going for 100k miles it might keep my truck going for 400k miles. I could go with a Dexos oil because that's what GM specifies for a lot of engines, but it's a lesser oil and I can't un-know that.

As for the preventative maintenance on my engine, absolutely it had to have gotten neglected by the first owner. But people neglect vehicles this way every day, and every day people buy previously neglected vehicles. Maybe the moral of the story is that everyone should get a borescope and stick it down into the valve cover before buying, or before deciding how frequently to change their oil going ahead.
A couple things I forgot to add, I do plan to eventually remove that valve cover again this summer, to check cleanliness compared to before.
And if I was to use a different oil than the M1 0w40 it would be Redline or Amsoil (or HPL if I can get a deal on shipping with someone else on this website). For now I still have several gallons of M1 I bought on sale.

Yup.

This is why I change the oil on our vehicles at home by myself. It's my decision how much I spend on oil, not the penny pinching managers.

Maybe just use Rislone added to oil versus the new Valvoline ? Rislone appears to have a fair amount of esters added to it for cleaning oil deposits .
Do you think a bottle of rislone with Kirkland signature oil would have the same cleaning effect on oil control rings and piston deposits as the Valvoline r&p?

This is why I change the oil on our vehicles at home by myself. It's my decision how much I spend on oil, not the penny pinching managers.
I feel the same. Been trying to convince my bro to not use dealer oil changes because of that uncertainty of getting cheap crap in his engine. He traded oil burning prius for a 2022 wrx and doesnt realize the oil matters for longevity of its turbo.

Maybe its fine for the duration of his car warranty. I still going with my gut an expensive car deserves better oil

Yup. Purrs like a kitten. Worked on QSUP, too, but is even more quiet on the Valvoline EP.
That's not the Moly, it's the fact that Valvoline is a bit thicker, and has higher HTHS (2.9~3.0 vs. 3.2~3.3).

If you want to test the Moly versus HTHS theory, run Castrol EDGE Euro 0W-40 API SN. I did in when I had a RAM 1500. It purred like a kitten, and it doesn't have a lick of Moly in it.

That's not the Moly, it's the fact that Valvoline is a bit thicker, and has higher HTHS (2.9~3.0 vs. 3.2~3.3).

If you want to test the Moly versus HTHS theory, run Castrol EDGE Euro 0W-40 API SN. I did in when I had a RAM 1500. It purred like a kitten, and it doesn't have a lick of Moly in it.

I don't think there is one single ingredient or property that can be attributed to this. I've run mobil 1 0w-40 and it was noiser than the 5w-20 hpl I'm running now. The quietest my engine has been is on the current hpl pcmo 5w-20, and I've run the no vii in 5w-30 as well as premium plus 0w-30.

If we can believe our ears which are notoriously bad citizens and tell us what we want to hear, and also have accurate memory of less than 5 seconds. I cannot swear to the truth/accuracy of my observations, just that that's my current belief without scientific validation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back