Valvoline Premium Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the VOA from Blacksotone. Thoughts?

The trace wear metals we found in this virgin sample are becoming increasingly common finds in virgin oils. They aren't much of a problem. No moisture was found and the trace of insolubles is acceptable. Calcium and magnesium are your detergent/ dispersants while zinc and phos are anti wear additives. This looks to be a nice oil for your Dmax.

ALUMINUM 1
IRON 1
MOLYBDENUM 33
BORON 2
SILICON 4
SODIUM 5
CALCIUM 878
MAGNESIUM 664
PHOSPHORUS 776
ZINC 919

VIS @210 76.4
VIS @100 14.62
FLASHPOINT 425

I love the high moly content - Valvoline seems to be making a good investment in anti-wear additives, which seems to be lacking in the Rotella, Delo, Delvac, etc. To me this seems to be the point of differentiation between these oils - other additives look remarkably similar. I know UOA is the final verdict, but my thinking is that if you have a better starting point, how can you NOT have a better ending point?

Bring on the flames!!!

If this is a CJ4 diesel oil it seems low in Zn/P, way below the limits, and it looks like it has a TBN of ~7*. It looks more like an ACEA C3 oil with ash ~0.8%, lowish TBN and 700 This is, IMHO, a very small moly content. Look at VOAs of certain Redline oils if you like high Mo content.
* ACEA E9 requires TBN>/= 9.00

Charlie

I'm kind of new to the oil thing, so might need further explanation. I didn't have TBN run, as I thought that was to determine if a used oil still had life left.

What would be "good" for zinc and phos? I know this is a CJ4 oil and will be down on some of those additives compared to an older CI oil

What does ACEA mean?

The limit on P for CJ4 is A decent formula for estimating TBN from divalent cation concentrations in ppm is (Ca + 1.6Mg)/290.
I can't believe these numbers are from a CJ4 oil.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Gunatics_Adler
This looks more like a SM rated passenger car oil.

At a dollar store for $.50 cents!! lol

Wow - didn't realize that the oil was so deficient, or how important the zinc and phosphorous were.

Is there any way I could have screwed up the sample? Eg, not shaking the bottle before pouring? I'm not sure if these additives settle out over time, but that's a scary thought if I'm only putting in the top quart out of a gallon for a top off As I said before, I'm still kind of new to the oil nut thing.

If this is as bad as it seems, why didn't Blackstone call out the low levels in the VOA? If the oil is deficient (as it seems to be) why wouldn't they say so? If I hadn't found this feedback, and subjected my engine to premature wear, I would have been [censored].

Looks like the VPB is going in the lawnmower, and the truck is going back to Delo.

Some settling is possible. However, this looks more like Wal Mart Super Tech quality oil. I would stick with Delo, Delvac, or Rotella. Heck even the Motorcraft Diesel Oil product date sheets I have seen is better looking than this.

I cannot believe these numbers came from a well shaken bottle of heavy duty engine oil, even CJ4. The numbers are "adequate" for oil going into say a modern passenger car engine except the viscosity does prove it's an xW40 oil.
Actually lawn mower oils have extraordinarily high levels of Zn/P.
I believe Valvoline Premium Blue, out of a fresh, shaken bottle, has Ca and Mg ~50% higher, and Zn and P 2-300 ppm higher. These are the results we have seen many times on VOAs of CJ4 oils.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1234980&page=1
Charlie

After doing some more reading, is it possible that this sample got "Blackstoned?" Seems like their OAs are not known for being very accurate.

Although I didn't shake the bottle myself immediately prior to pouring, it was bouncing around all day in the toolbox of my 1 ton dually truck. Believe me, the way this truck rides through freeway expansion joints, it should have been thoroughly mixed.

I may call Blackstone and request a retest.

Quote:

Better oil base + cleaner fuel = less needed additives.

Originally Posted By: snakyjake
Quote:

They are still too low for a heavy duty engine. Other CJ4 oils have much better detergent and anti wear ad packs than this sample, even those with better base oils like the Rotella synthetics.

Originally Posted By: snakyjake
Quote:

No,,thats b ull c rap, it's still waaay down on additives for a HDEO or blackstone is off again.

Originally Posted By: jmac
Compare above to this UOA of V PB CJ, and it looks like [censored] sent out the wrong sample results.

How do I post the full sheet as above? Would save time from trying to type it all out.

Is there a possibility that Blackstone mixed up my VOA sample with someone elses 10w-40 PCMO? The more side by side comparison I do, the more it looks like cheap 10w-40 someone had sampled - maybe even a short term UOA with the traces of wear metals.

This doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in Blackstone as a first time user.

What are some other labs and what are their costs for OA?

Call Blackstone and explain your situation. Perhaps they still have your sample and can run it again (some labs keep samples for X amount of time).

If they are in error, give them the chance to correct it.

Jake

Originally Posted By: robertjhoag
Originally Posted By: jmac
Compare above to this UOA of V PB CJ, and it looks like [censored] sent out the wrong sample results.

How do I post the full sheet as above? Would save time from trying to type it all out.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think if you can convert it somehow to a .jpg, then you could use the
Code:

html codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back