Valvoline Mercon V and Toyota T-IV, ATF+3, ATF+4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at Advance Auto. They have a Valvoline Mercon V which I'd never seen before and isn't on
Valvoline's website. It's $2.38/quart. This is NOT the Durablend stuff. Advance Auto doesn't even have the Durablend Mercon V.

That's not the interesting part.

The interesting part is what it says on the back of the label.

"Other applications supported by Valvoline:
"Chrysler ATF+3, ATF+4"
"Toyota T-IV"
(those were the most interesting ones, about 4-5 others were listed including a Nissan application).

Also listed were Mercon and Dexron III...but the front of the bottle says "For 1996 and newer Ford" so you tell me..?

quote:

brianl703:
..... Valvoline Mercon V which I'd never seen before and isn't on Valvoline's website. .....

"Other applications supported by Valvoline:
"Chrysler ATF+3, ATF+4" "Toyota T-IV" .....

ExxonMobil recommends their Mercon V for Chrysler ATF+4 as well.

The Toyota T-IV spec is what Mobil's 3309 ATF meets, 3309 being the GM name for the spec for certain Aisin Warner automatics in Toyota, Nissan, GM, and so on.

With the excepion of Amzoil, which claims to meet just about every spec as well as grow hair on bald men's heads, I have not seen any other company recommend a cross between Mercon V and the 3309 specs.

It's Amsoil and it's tested to, and passes the claimed specs. Not sure about hair growth.

Some folks act like Amsoil just blindly claims these from the get go. I distinctly remember when the T-IV was not initially on the spec sheets/bottle. It was only later added after testing.

The performance specs of various ATF's are not that disparate.

Amsoil ATF specifies the same.I use it in My Ford F-150 5 SPEED manual trans..Which calls for Mercon. I have had great results in the way it shifts now.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
It's Amsoil and it's tested to, and passes the claimed specs.

Just so we understand, the 3309/Toyota T-IV specs and Mercon V are not the same.

There are no Chrylser ATF+4 specs.

Wherever Amzoil lands in its viscosity, friction, and temperature characteristics, it can't meet Mercon V and 3309 at the same time.

I am assuming that Amzoil has developed a package of characteristics that it believes lands in the middle of, or close enough, to the recommended specs that your transmission is not put at risk.

Fair enough.

I'd feel more comfortable if an OEM, as ExxonMobil did with the Mercon V for Chrysler ATF+4 ATF, made the recommendation.

Amsoil (no Z)

Just so others know:

For example, Viscosity, typical:
Amsoil = 7.5 Cst @ 100°C
T-IV = 7.2-7.5 Cst @ 100°C
Mercon V = 7.3-7.8 Cst @ 100°C

Obviously there is more to a fluid than viscosity, and this does NOT mean one could necessarily use a Mercon fluid in a Toyota, but it's simply NOT that big of a stretch to have a universal fluid.

It's the proprietary friction modifiers that make PROPRIETARY fluids PROPRIETARY. I believe without published specs to aim for (at?), limited distribution niche lube players are shooting in the dark and hoping they score a hit. At least with Mobil's and Valvoline's ATF+4 and Mercon V claims of compatibility (and their considerable research/testing facilities), the car owner who chooses their fluids over the OEM fluid has companies with deep pockets in case something goes awry. Personally, I wouldn't put Amsoil in either my lawnmower or on my bald pate.

I have used Amsoil Universal ATF with good results in a Jeep Cherokee (calls for Dexron 3) and my Cavalier five speed manual (also calls for Dex 3). However, since around here the Dodge dealers have lowered the price of ATF+4 to around $4.50 a quart, I will just play it safe and use the Chrysler ATF+4 in the wife's Durango. There are some Dodge sites (www.dodgetruckworld.com and wwwdodgedakotas.com) where people have used Amsoil Universal without any problems at all. Seems to do what they claim.
cheers.gif

I just called my local Dodge dealer and they are selling ATF+4 for $18/gallon. I am really tempted to try the Mobil Mercon V, but I can part with $4.50/qt for something I'll change every 30K miles. I'll let you'all know if I feel any real difference after all is said and done. I should get her done sometime in the next couple of weeks. I am also adding a drain plug kit to the pan as well.

lobo11-
Just for the sake of good discussion, my friend and I have used Castrol Mercon-V in several chrysler applications; 93 Dakota, 97 Cirrus, 96 Stratus, 97 Stratus & even a 93 Deville(GM). The chrysler transmissions have never worked so fine. They engage into gear faster, the shift quality is improved and the frigid cold temp operation is better. So far, with several thousand miles, we've been impressed. The Mercon-V must clean, because it has taken a few drain & refill procedures to remove the sooty black particulate matter...we've installed trans pan drain plugs. I'm not making an endorsement, just stating our experiences. Frankly we've been surprised, initally preparing to resort back to ATF+3.

I've been contemplating adding a supplement of Lubeguard, which 'converts' regular dex/merc to ATF+3 & +4 but am uncertain if it is necessary or will even work properly with the Mercon-V.

quote:

It's the proprietary friction modifiers that make PROPRIETARY fluids PROPRIETARY. I believe without published specs to aim for (at?), limited distribution niche lube players are shooting in the dark and hoping they score a hit

Actually, it's the unpublished specs that make them proprietary. As far as shooting in the dark, haven't you heard of chemical analysis and reverse engineering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back