Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Wally-World yesterday. I saw Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic?????
The product came in a 5w-30, and a 10w-30. Both were ACEA A3 rated, and had all the MB and VW ratings! It was priced $4.44/quart. I wonder if it is still a group III synthetic?????????

Hmmm, don't know. I find it curious that they would market a Maxlife syn when they already have Valvoline SynPower.

I don't know what the difference would be.
dunno.gif

If you look at Synpower, the bottles seem to collect dust on the shelves. There is nothing to differntiate this product from every other synthetic on the market.
Maxlife has much better market recognition they the Synpower Brand. Plus the Maxlife Synthetic is ACEA A3 rated in 5w-30 and 10w-30 weights, where Synpower in only A3 in the 20w-50 and 5w-40 weights. The Maxlife Synthetic must be a better product that the Synpower?

If Valvoline were smart, they would make the Maxlife Synthetic a true non API oil by beefing up it's ZDDP a lot, and also adding moly back into the formula. But I bet a VOA will show that it still has no moly and that it's ZDDP is still under 1000ppm. It boggles me why non API oils don't all have 1200-1500ppm of ZDDP in them, and could really lower engine wear. From what I understand ZDDP is still not too expensive to add in the formulation.

But I'm sure Valvoline doesn't care about making this oil into what it truly could be, but it's all about marketing. High mileage oils are selling very well, and so they might as well capitalize on it, and hope to capture another untouched market, the people with sports cars that have high mileage on them, people that might never use any oil that doesn't say synthetic on the bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by johnsha:
If you look at Synpower, the bottles seem to collect dust on the shelves. There is nothing to differntiate this product from every other synthetic on the market.
Maxlife has much better market recognition they the Synpower Brand. Plus the Maxlife Synthetic is ACEA A3 rated in 5w-30 and 10w-30 weights, where Synpower in only A3 in the 20w-50 and 5w-40 weights. The Maxlife Synthetic must be a better product that the Synpower?

No, I don't think it means it's necessarilly better. A3 means it must be thicker. If SynPower is A5 rated like Mobil 1 or Syntec that would still be great. 30wts. to the thin side can't be A3, but it doesn't mean they are not superior products.

cool.gif
I think M1 is the recognized leader in syn and Wally-World, at least here, often charges slightly more for the Valvline Synpower than M1.
confused.gif

A3 in a 30 weight? It must be thick. Anything on their homepage about it? I think for my $5, M1 SUV is hard to beat. Nevertheless, it's a new oil that is a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back