Valvoline MaxLife or Castrol Transmax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Doing a drain and refill on my 2000 Toyota Camry's transmission, differential, and power steering.

So the question is, Valvoline MaxLife ATF or Castrol Transmax?

Also, I've used both in power steering systems interchangeably, no difference.

For the trans and differential, use whatever meets manufacturers spec...

Maxlife is cheaper, more widely available, and full synthetic. You can use it with confidence in your 2000 Camry
smile.gif

I'm not sure what Toyota calls for here.

If T-IV, use T-IV, Mobil 3309, or Castrol Import MV.
If WS, use Maxlife.

Just make sure it meets the specs of whatever Toyota calls for regarding your transmission. Transmissions are really picky when it comes to the type of fluid they use.

Whatever you do, dont go for that "multi vehicle" label without seeing the actual specs written in the bottle.

It calls for Dexron III so either will work and they're the same price.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if one is a lot better

I have had great luck with maxlife atf in steering and AT fluid changes. Its good stuff and cheap if you can get a walmart gallon.

I'm a Maxlife fan but I'd use Castrol IMV in a 2000 Camry based on the great results I had with it in a 2004 Corolla.

I just drained Maxlife and filled with Castrol Transmax Import last week in my Celica. So far, I can't tell the difference.
If given, everything else is the same, I would probably go with Maxlife because it's full synthetic which translates to further miles between drain and fill.

The reason I'm trying different ATF is to see if any one of them will remedy my transmission issue of not shifting into 4th gear when it's cold outside (winter). Maxlife didn't, and if the Castrol doesn't, I will most likely try Mobil 3309 on next drain and fill.

I had a 2000 Camry 2.2 auto, I used Maxlife in the trans, PS, and diff with great results. Go for it.
In response to the post by Eosyn, why not try some Seafoam Trans Tune before your next fluid change? I've read a lot of good reviews of it cleaning up sticky valves and whatnot, helping issues like you mentioned.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I had a 2000 Camry 2.2 auto, I used Maxlife in the trans, PS, and diff with great results. Go for it.
In response to the post by Eosyn, why not try some Seafoam Trans Tune before your next fluid change? I've read a lot of good reviews of it cleaning up sticky valves and whatnot, helping issues like you mentioned.
Well it doesn't have any issues, I'd rather not use an additive unless I have a problem. Thanks though, I've heard good about the Seafoam Trans Tune too.

MaxLife will work in all 3 of those applications.

I was not aware that Camrys of that year had a separate differential, I figured it was incorporated into the automatic transmission.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Doing a drain and refill on my 2000 Toyota Camry's transmission, differential, and power steering.

So the question is, Valvoline MaxLife ATF or Castrol Transmax?

Try M1 ATF in both. In 25 years I haven'y had a failure in trans or PS pumps.

I use Mobil 1 in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma that calls for DEX III. I have since new and can highly recommend it. I'm sure the ATFs you're asking about are fine too, but are probably a bit thinner (at least MaxLife is) than original.

Trans Tune isn't really an additive, but a solvent that helps clean varnish and stuff to keep from sticking valves. A lot of success stories. You add it and drive a while before changing the fluid and filter. Yeah, Camrys have a diff. It's weird, but true. I changed the fluid and filter, diff, and PS all with Maxlife and it worked very nicely. And it's cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back