Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc in 2008 Hyundai Accent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
I bought my car used with 126,xxxKM. Transmission shifted slightly hard but otherwise fine. The fluid was medium brown, no maintenance history but it did not smell burnt. I know OEM SP3 is supposed to turn brown on its own. I decided to slowly transition to new fluid using drainplug drain/fills at oil change times, then do a pan drop and clean with filter change in the summer when weather is less harsh. At first I was spooked by all the naysayers on the various Hyundai forums stating that you have to use SP3 or your car will explode. Well, at $12.37 per litre, after buying 3 bottles I decided to try the Maxlife ($28.21 /5L Jug $5.64/L). So far its gone as follows:

126K: 1.7L of medium brown out, 1.7L of Hyundai SP3 in.
No difference in the car.

131K: 2.0L of slightly cleaner fluid out, 1.3L Hyundai SP3 and 0.7L Maxlife in.
Shifts feel noticeably smoother and less obtrusive immediately after change.

Not sure if the smoother shifting was because I'd reached close to 50% total fluid exchange, or solely due to the 0.7L of Maxlife. The system is 6.1L dry fill. If it was the Maxlife it tells me it is a HECK of a lot better fluid for a little over 10% capacity to effect a noticeable change.

This car is funny in that a tranny oil change is actually easier than an oil change. transmission plug faces front of car and can be reached while its on the ground. Oil change requires front end jacked, plug faces rear of car and filter requires an entire arm and some contortion to reach. I did the first drain with it up on stands for the oil vs on the ground which explains the 1.7 vs 2.0 litre drain amounts.

I am pleased my car did not immediately combust and will continue to update as I get more Maxlife into it. Hope to add to the positive stories to reassure people that they don't have to use dealer fluid.

I use it in my wife's 2007 Santa Fe, after extensively researching it on the web.

From what I recall, SPIII is not that great.

Been researching this for a Friend's Kia Sportage with the V6.
From what I'm finding on the online users manuals provided by Kia and the forums the SPIII drain and fill, according to the manual is, every 20,000 kilometers, which is about 19,000 miles.

Seems to me with that kind of documentation in the Users manuals makes it just some conventional fluid and a cost cutting factor.

Also, on the Sportage that I have worked on, OCI's and Transmission drain and fills are redicliously easy. Everything is provided right there under the front of the car. If I wasn't so fat I wouldn't have to get the car up on ramps.

Did a complete change via cooler line with maxlife on my kia . To me shifts a little smoother, fluid stays cleaner looking much longer than the factory fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back