Valvoline MaxLife 5w30, 4500K on oil, 134,776K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: volk06
Im starting to believe they took the moly out of maxlife.

They did. A bunch of these have been showing up.
frown.gif

I have yet to see a NextGen Maxlife UOA without moly though, maybe that will stay with it.

OP, are you short tripping this vehicle at all? Only reason I could think of for such a low TBN.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

OP, are you short tripping this vehicle at all? Only reason I could think of for such a low TBN.

Not really, Some short trips but the truck is almost always up to operating temperature prior to shutting down. Work is 13 miles one way, mostly stop and go. I may change my route up and get a little more highway driving involved. It's a little further, but it is a nicer drive.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: volk06
Im starting to believe they took the moly out of maxlife.

They did. A bunch of these have been showing up.
frown.gif

I have yet to see a NextGen Maxlife UOA without moly though, maybe that will stay with it.

I have 5 qts of that in my truck currently, ill send a sample when I hit 4k on it.

These wear numbers are reasonably average, overall. GM Vortec engines tend to shed a bit more Fe and Cu than some other brands. But, these are still very normal. But that also speaks to the fact that this syn MaxLife really did nothing to distinguish itself from "normal". That's a lot of money for "normal" results.

Unless you take into account the fact that he went "4500k miles"; that is FOUR MILLION FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND miles on this OCI, if the thread title is to be believed ....
In that case, I'm super-duper impressed!
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Very poor results from a synthetic---TBN spent before 5,000 miles. This is one of several reports that I have seen where Valvoline showed poor TBN retention. It would be funny and sad if the OP tried the dino Penn yellow bottle or Mobil 5,000 and both outperformed this synthetic. It wouldn't surprise me if they in fact would.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Very poor results from a synthetic---TBN spent before 5,000 miles. This is one of several reports that I have seen where Valvoline showed poor TBN retention. It would be funny and sad if the OP tried the dino Penn yellow bottle or Mobil 5,000 and both outperformed this synthetic. It wouldn't surprise me if they in fact would.

This is not a full synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back