Valvoline HM 5W-30 syn @ 5.5k; 2009 Accord K24 @ 171k

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L K24 engine.
171,XXX miles on engine, 5,510 mile OCI.
Lead continues to show in sample.
No start up noises and good oil pressure.
The first two samples were Supertech High Mileage 5w-20 full synth.

Attachments

• 2022_12_06_08_10_370001.jpg
    2022_12_06_08_10_370001.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 322
This car is my wife's commuter vehicle. She drives maybe 30 miles round trip.
The car mostly sits in the garage on the weekend.
You do seem to have some fuel dilution. You may want to have your next sample tested at Polaris Labs or other lab that uses a gas chromatography test to get a better understanding of fuel dilution. Keeping the OCI around 5-6K miles like you've been doing is probably a good idea.

That looks fantastic. I wonder how well regular Maxlife would've faired in comparison.

2009 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L K24 engine.
171,XXX miles on engine, 5,510 mile OCI.
Lead continues to show in sample.
No start up noises and good oil pressure.
The first two samples were Supertech High Mileage 5w-20 full synth.
Looks fine. Interesting, that your wear went up slightly with this thicker oil vs. your previous runs with a thinner, different brand of oil. Wear is low, in any case. .02

Does it burn any oil, I think is the pertinent question for a K24. The analysis report looks fine.

I recently serviced a 2009 Accord that was owned by a young woman who was here on a student visa, got connected to us through my wife's IRL social network (Brazilians). She brought it back after 4000 miles for a check as she was going to sell it before going home. Dipstick was bone dry. It took 2.5 quarts to bring it to the full mark. Didn't seem any the worse for the wear, but I was pretty shocked at the consumption. And this was running Pro DS 5w30, not Xw20 as recommended.

Does it burn any oil, I think is the pertinent question for a K24. The analysis report looks fine.

I recently serviced a 2009 Accord that was owned by a young woman who was here on a student visa, got connected to us through my wife's IRL social network (Brazilians). She brought it back after 4000 miles for a check as she was going to sell it before going home. Dipstick was bone dry. It took 2.5 quarts to bring it to the full mark. Didn't seem any the worse for the wear, but I was pretty shocked at the consumption. And this was running Pro DS 5w30, not Xw20 as recommended.
That is pretty common for older K24’s.

Sounds like it needs a piston soak, the stuck rings gets these motors burning oil. As long as pvc is good, another soft spot in the designs.

Back