Valvoline Engine Guarentee

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.engineguarantee.com/

What do you guys think of this new initiative?

"WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO STAY IN THE LIMITED ENGINE GUARANTEE PROGRAM?
Once you've enrolled, change your oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles using the type of Valvoline oil required for the protection level you selected. We know you can't always change your oil at exactly 3,000 miles, so we allow a grace period of up to 1,000 miles. Enter your oil changes online within 90 days of when you had your oil changed and keep your receipts. Additional requirements can be found in the Terms and Conditions."

To keep this guarentee, you have to change Valvoline Syn every 3,000 miles!!!!

Personally I think this is rather unethical. Advocating 3,000 synthetic oil changes in order to sell more product!

Last edited:
Somehow it's a hoax. Non transferable to new owners, junked out bodies, totalled cars, stolen cars, and then most will last 300k changing syn. every 3k anyway. Then the excuse it was a failure in the engine not related to the oil excuse, or you went 5k between changes on a road trip and this voided the warranty.

The fine print actually says "between 3,000 and 4,000 miles" and they will extend it out to 6,000 miles as the final limit. The warranty is void if you exceed the 6,000 mile limit.

It's not really a bad deal for someone who keeps their car a long time. Of course it's a drive to get repeat customers but the product is good and warranty is free. I know people that use Valvoline exclusively so it would be a sweet deal for them.

Pennzoil/Quaker State offer a similar warranty and I truthfully don't think there's much performance difference among the OTC products these days.

If the warranty drums up some business for them then more power to 'em.

I think they would try every way to get out of paying for any damages. BTW I didn't see anything about a 6,000 mile limit on Valvoline's site......

Lets see....if you never change the oil, it's not covered.
If the oil somehow leaks out and the engine seizes, it's not covered.
If the engine overheats or has some kind of failure not oil-related, it's not covered.
If the piston rings or seals wear out (wear and tear) it's not covered.

Sooo.....how else can an engine fail? What does this warranty actually cover? Answer: NOTHING.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Sooo.....how else can an engine fail? What does this warranty actually cover? Answer: NOTHING.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
http://www.engineguarantee.com/

What do you guys think of this new initiative?

"WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO STAY IN THE LIMITED ENGINE GUARANTEE PROGRAM?
Once you've enrolled, change your oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles using the type of Valvoline oil required for the protection level you selected. We know you can't always change your oil at exactly 3,000 miles, so we allow a grace period of up to 1,000 miles. Enter your oil changes online within 90 days of when you had your oil changed and keep your receipts. Additional requirements can be found in the Terms and Conditions."

To keep this guarentee, you have to change Valvoline Syn every 3,000 miles!!!!

Personally I think this is rather unethical. Advocating 3,000 synthetic oil changes in order to sell more product!

Yes, Amsoil pokes at them and reiterates that they want to sell each customer LESS of their oil while Valvoline is going off and making you buy MORE of their product.

Other companies have made guaranties like this.
I wonder what has actually ever been paid out.
And if you do your own oil changes, and bought your oil in mass quantities early on, how do you prove you bought oil for the oil changes?

Show me one person who has ever had their engine replaced under warranty by AMSOIL, Valvoline, Slick 50, etc. etc.... any of the companies that put forth these sorts of warranties.

If the engine overheats or has some kind of failure not oil-related, it's not covered.

Not true...if the oil breaks down within 3000 miles while you are off roading in Macy's basement during a flood and running from a stampede of water buffalo...you are 100% covered and they got your back.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: 94supraonchrome
I think they would try every way to get out of paying for any damages. BTW I didn't see anything about a 6,000 mile limit on Valvoline's site......

Here it is, directly from their guarantee web page:

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW:

2.You have to change your oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. There’s a lot of mixed messages on drain intervals, but the keys are this: first, there’s no better thing you can do to protect your engine than to change your oil and your oil filter. And second, most vehicles on the road actually recommend a 3,000-3,750 mile interval for “severe” driving, and over 80% of us drive in severe conditions. For example, stop-and-go driving is not considered “normal” by the people writing these drain recommendations... And we’re not totally unreasonable. (Just don’t go past 6,000 miles between oil changes – that’s our outer limit and if you pass it, we won’t be able to cover your engine.)

Yeah and what I'd like to know is just what is consider a failure. Burning 1 qt of oil every 500 miles or engine making noise? Probably not. Maybe rod kicked out the side of the block, or cam siezed or broke? I can just imagine the list of excuses.."the oil ws protecting fine you had a fatiqued rod or rod bolt", or "Your defective cam bearing spun and caused the cam to sieze, the oil was working fine" lol.

Originally Posted By: JoeFromPA
Show me one person who has ever had their engine replaced under warranty by AMSOIL, Valvoline, Slick 50, etc. etc.... any of the companies that put forth these sorts of warranties.

Agreed! I'm willing to bet none of them has ever had to pay a dime for any claims arising out of these marketing ploys. There is enough fine print there to keep it vague enough in their favor.

Guarantee aside, I ran Valvoline in a 2.9L Ford Ranger from 90,000 miles to 250,000+ miles and never had a problem. The 10w-40 in that engine that's famous for blowing/leaking head gaskets did just fine. That truck was an oil burner too.

I signed up to get the rebate. $15-20 back depending on what oil you buy. I have no intention of changing my oil every 3-4k or keeping my car for 300,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back