Valvoline Durablend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone,

I recently started using Valvoline 5W20 Durablend in my Explorer (currently running Durablend and Carquest Blue filter). I saw that Autozone has Valvoline on sale so I bought more with a Bosch Premium filter. When I got home I noticed the back of the bottle says that is meets Ford WSS M2C930-A even though the current spec is WSS M2C945-A.

I called Valvoline and spoke to a tech and asked if I purchased old product because the Product Information sheet on Valvoline's website says their Durablend meets the current spec. He said that it would be "fine" to run it and not to worry because the auto manufacturers are constantly changing the specs.

To me this doesn't sound right but are there any BITOGers out there that can explain the difference between the old and new Ford spec and if it would be bad for my engine to run this oil?

Also, I chose Valvoline over Motorcraft because I have read on here that Valvoline is a 70/30 blend over Motorcraft's 80/20.

945 superceded 930 in late 2011, when oil went from SM to SN specifications.

Check the API rating, it might be that you got some new old stock.

Thank you for replying.

The back label specifically states that it "Exceeds API SERVICES SN/SM, ILSAC GF-5 ACEA A1 PERFORMANCE...Additional specifications Ford WSS M2C930-A..."

Originally Posted By: Fordai
Thank you for replying.

The back label specifically states that it "Exceeds API SERVICES SN/SM, ILSAC GF-5 ACEA A1 PERFORMANCE...Additional specifications Ford WSS M2C930-A..."

I wouldn't sweat it then, on the very, very, very highly unlikely chance that you had an engine warranty Ford would have to show that it was oil related. And in that case you'd have a pretty strong case with Valvoline. Just keep your receipts.

I also wouldn't worry about it but for what you are paying for VD you can get full synthetic like QSUD, VSP, M1 etc...that's what I would do.

I have used M1 with the EP filter in the past. I can get it at $6.50 a quart (which is cheaper than the Durablend at $6.99) so I may go back to it. I just wanted to try some other great products.

Originally Posted By: Fordai
I have used M1 with the EP filter in the past. I can get it at $6.50 a quart (which is cheaper than the Durablend at $6.99) so I may go back to it. I just wanted to try some other great products.

Nothing wrong with trying something new.
Valvoline Durablend is my favorite semi-synthetic.

Comes in nice blue containers too.

It's good quality stuff.....enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back