Valvoline Dot 3&4 Brake Fluid

What are the formulation and performance differences between the Valvoline DOT 3&4 brake fluid and standard DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid?

Last edited:
One meets the DOT 4 spec and the other doesn't. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point but It's probably of negligible importance. The main reason for choosing DOT 3 over DOT 4 would be 3 is slower to absorb moisture than 4 so it might depend on your intended replacement frequency. If a higher boiling point is prioritised then DOT 5.1 is a even better choice than 4 but it will need replacing twice as often.

There is a low viscosity DOT 4 brake fluid marked as DOT 4 LV. Ford has specified DOT 4 LV brake fluid in the F150 and other Ford and Lincoln vehicles for years now along with other auto makers. I think Mercedes calls DOT 4 LV brake fluid DOT 4 Plus.

It's just a standard DOT4 fluid, which is something that very few vehicles call for. Most DOT4 applications in the last 20 years actually require DOT4LV due to the poor cold-temp performance of DOT4.

There is a low viscosity DOT 4 brake fluid marked as DOT 4 LV. Ford has specified DOT 4 LV brake fluid in the F150 and other Ford and Lincoln vehicles for years now along with other auto makers. I think Mercedes calls DOT 4 LV brake fluid DOT 4 Plus.

The reason they use different names for the low viscosity versions of DOT 4 is because there is no official DOT standard for low viscosity fluid. They are all just marketing terms and it’s very confusing that each manufacture thought it appropriate to invent their own name.

Look closer and you’ll see them marketed as DOT 4 + class 6 (or any of the other low viscosity variations followed by class 6). This refers to the European ISO standard 4925 class 6 which specifies the low viscosity rating of 750 cSt @ -40 Deg C.

Has anyone used the Valvoline Dot 3/4 specifically? Wondering if it will absorb moisture like a DOT 3 rather than a DOT 4.

Has anyone used the Valvoline Dot 3/4 specifically? Wondering if it will absorb moisture like a DOT 3 rather than a DOT 4.
I have used it, but I doubt anyone has sent a sample of the fluid for analysis, so no one knows the answer.

Chasing boiling points is generally a pointless exercise for daily drivers, just stick with the recommended fluid if it is DOT3.

I have used it, but I doubt anyone has sent a sample of the fluid for analysis, so no one knows the answer.

Chasing boiling points is generally a pointless exercise for daily drivers, just stick with the recommended fluid if it is DOT3.

Would you recommend the Valvoline DOT 3/4 fluid as a no compromise performer for replacing Mopar DOT 3? I suspect it is not the same formulation as standard DOT 4 because it doesn't make any sense for Valvoline to sell DOT 4 fluid in a bottle marked DOT 3/4 when they also sell DOT 4 fluid.

Would you recommend the Valvoline DOT 3/4 fluid as a no compromise performer for replacing Mopar DOT 3? I suspect it is not the same formulation as standard DOT 4 because it doesn't make any sense for Valvoline to sell DOT 4 fluid in a bottle marked DOT 3/4 when they also sell DOT 4 fluid.
No, I would use a DOT3 fluid, preferably a DOT3 fluid from an OEM. Take a look at this thread:

Even with DOT3 fluids, some have significantly better low temp performance and lubricity than others. Not all DOT3 fluids are the same.

No, I would use a DOT3 fluid, preferably a DOT3 fluid from an OEM. Take a look at this thread:

Even with DOT3 fluids, some have significantly better low temp performance and lubricity than others. Not all DOT3 fluids are the same.

I have been using the OEM DOT 3 fluid, but would like to find a good aftermarket option that is easier and cheaper to source.

I used to use the valvoline dot 3/4 but looks like they actually have separate products now. Will be using their DOT 3 on my next job.

I used to use the valvoline dot 3/4 but looks like they actually have separate products now. Will be using their DOT 3 on my next job.

Can you send me a link where to buy the Valvoline DOT 3 product? I could only find the DOT 3&4 or the DOT4.

Last edited:
Wow that looks to be the only place that carries Valvoline DOT 3, but unfortunately there isn't a Menards in the state I live in nor do they give a shipping option for that item.
Well like I said I’ve been using the dot 3&4 for many years now in my dot 3 applications and it holds up great. Anecdotally- never did spend the money on a fluid analysis but during bleeds it always comes out okish

Back