valvoline conventional question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does valvoline not get better remarks on here? I remember growing up hearing It was darn good oil. But I hear that its add pack is weak ect can someone set me straight. In sure its adequate but really is it not ad good as the other brands

I personally only had oil fail on me once. Valvoline. In around 1,500 miles my car started knocking. I thought I lost all my oil from a leak or something after a long highway trip. When I checked the dipstick, the oil was as thick as water. I changed it ( not Valvoline ) and I never had a problem again. I know it was over 20 years ago but with all the other options out there, I'm not taking a chance.

Valvoline has its fans on here, some guys swear by it. You'll notice BITOG has oil "groups". Some guys really like Mobil, some really like Pennzoil, others are into Quaker State or Castrol, some Valvoline. There are some Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple and other boutique fans. There are those that just run whatever brand name oil is on sale
grin.gif

And some of the guys that really push one brand, will make it a point to put down another. I'd say the most commonly criticized brands are Mobil 1, Amsoil and Royal Purple. Mobil for being the largest, the other two for criticism of marketing style (Amsoil) and for absurd claims (RP).

I think Valvoline falls middle of the pack. Probably a little less popular than PYB, but a bit more popular than GTX. Its not that it a bad product. But it also doesn't really have any "exceptional" things going for it either. It lacks a flagship product like Mobil's 0w40, Pennzoil's 5w40 Euro, Castrol's TWS (or maybe Edge), which is why I don't think it gets the same sort of recognition.

Now these are just my personal opinions however, so take them as that only please.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Valvoline has its fans on here, some guys swear by it. You'll notice BITOG has oil "groups". Some guys really like Mobil, some really like Pennzoil, others are into Quaker State or Castrol, some Valvoline. There are some Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple and other boutique fans. There are those that just run whatever brand name oil is on sale
grin.gif

And some of the guys that really push one brand, will make it a point to put down another. I'd say the most commonly criticized brands are Mobil 1, Amsoil and Royal Purple. Mobil for being the largest, the other two for criticism of marketing style (Amsoil) and for absurd claims (RP).

I think Valvoline falls middle of the pack. Probably a little less popular than PYB, but a bit more popular than GTX. Its not that it a bad product. But it also doesn't really have any "exceptional" things going for it either. It lacks a flagship product like Mobil's 0w40, Pennzoil's 5w40 Euro, Castrol's TWS (or maybe Edge), which is why I don't think it gets the same sort of recognition.

Now these are just my personal opinions however, so take them as that only please.

I can agree with this....

That makes pretty good sense. Oreilly has a sale so I picked some up I already have to change out the Mobil I got about 2500 on it I know I can go longer but I'm wanting to a few short changes to get the engine good and clean. I figured I'd let this go till 5000 unless i get bored. The Mobil did pretty good 5w30 is just to thin for a pos Saturn. But valvoline was on sale and I figured ill try all the big names and see which I like best. And if anyones keeping track yes I drive way to Darn much. And overkill hope there's no hard feelings. I was kinda a jerk and i apologize for that. I'm pretty ocd and certain things drive me nuts and cars that agent absolutely perfect drive me insane . The fact that it uses oil is just another stupid thing for me to drive myself crazy over. I'm at the point where I just want to except the fact that it uses oil and I'm pretty well forced to deal with it. So its good for me to have something i can't really fix and have to deal with. It may sound dumb but that really is my reason. I have read that some people say they ran short oci for a year or so and there consumptiom stopped I guess the good clean oil helps clean the rings.

grin.gif

I'm one of those !

I used many conventional oil in the last 20+ years, but don't remember ever used Valvoline. Because other oils were on sale for less, much less.

But I bought/used a lot Synpower because of low price of $1-2/qt after MIR the 4-5 years.

Last edited:
And we don't know much about the current formulation. In the past, white bottle had excellent cold temp performance, a good choice for your location. Synthetic blend Maxlife was Valvoline's most popular model.

1. Buy what ever name brand (or proven store brand) meet the manufacturers specs.

2. Change oil at manufacturers specifications.

Trade in 15 years or 200,000 miles whichever comes first.

Dont kid yourself you will know the difference in Pennzoil, Valvoline or SuperTech after 5,0000 mile changes for 150,000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
Was there any certain oil that stood out to you.

For conventional oil, one stood out better than I expected and that oil was Peak 5W30. I got 20 quarts plus 4 Proline oil filter FAR from Pep Boys 2-3 years ago. I didn't hear of Peak oil before that day and since it was free so that I thought it may be sub-par compares with Halvoline or Chevron or Pennzoil, but I was surprise that the engines was somewhat quieter with it.

Sometimes you expect a lot less for a free product and it didn't perform too bad, then you felt it performs better than others, but actually it didn't, it's all about butt dino.

I've used peak it used to be cheap it did good by me. I'm getting class to both of those numbers it 14 almost and 190 k

I've never been a big fan of Valvoline White Bottle because of the price. For Dino Oils it's been mostly PYB, Formula Shell, Shell Rotella Dino Diesel.

From what I've read and heard discussed, VWB is a good cleaning dino oil, on it's own, for 5K to 6K. I bet it will go a lot further with a little help with NAPA, Car Quest or Valvoline SynPower for a mixed blend.

With the major clearance deals on the Gallon Jugs of Dino oil at Kmart, I've really loaded up with Valvoline White Bottle, PYB and Castrol GTX. These Dino oils in the Gallon Jugs went for $9 each at Kmart. With rebates for $7 off on 5 or more quarts purchased the final cost, if they send rebate checks, will be less than $1.25 a quart for PYB, VWB and GTX.

I plan to use all these Gallon jugs of Dino for making up a synthetic blend, of 50/50 or 60/40, within their own family of synthetic oils.

grin.gif

Well--don't that just about sum it up----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back