Valvoline ATF Dexron VI/Mercon LV & Ultra1Plus

Just use Dex VI or MERCON LV. Both are great fluids and are not much more than Maxlife. Why so many spend hours perseverating, thinking, contemplating, counseling, praying, and fasting over such an easy decision is beyond the scope of rationality.
No one is doing any of those things except thinking, that's why we are here. "Just use Dex VI" is exactly what I want to do, but I want to be sure it really is licensed Dex VI and not something that someone is passing off as "Meets Dex VI" or "Dex VI compatible fluid" with no confirmation that it really is (license).

Would you pay $10 a quart just because the marketers say how great it is when you can get a licensed product for $2?

Science > marketing, but you have to dig through a lot of weeds.

but I want to be sure it really is licensed Dex VI

Very easy and took me about 20 seconds to find it. For $2 more per qrt. compared to Maxlife and something that you might need to do every 3 years or so, you know it's the right stuff.

So basically the additive company calls the shots.
The additive company supplies the additive to the blender and it is up to the Blender to follow the formula.
So the values in the Dexron Test Upload Manual are minimum? An additive can do a superior job and still qualify for the license.
The various tests required in the 'Test' manual are those required to pass the tests for qualification, which was made clear earlier.

I have no idea what your second sentence means.

There are no conspiracies operating here.

Last edited:
Would you pay $10 a quart just because the marketers say how great it is when you can get a licensed product for $2?

Same decision I'm in the middle of making for my 10R80. Either Valvoline ULV (For $11/qt) or Motorcraft ULV ($5/qt). The Valvoline is supposed to be a full synthetic. I might still try it for this first D&F just because.

The additive company supplies the additive to the blender and it is up to the Blender to follow the formula.

The various tests required in the 'Test' manual are those required to pass the tests for qualification, which was made clear earlier.

I have no idea what your second sentence means.

There are no conspiracies operating here.
My second sentence was just to verify that the formula must be exact (if and only if), no exceptions, higher or lower performance.

No inferring of a conspiracy was intended.

Thanks for the informative answers, a new licensure may indicate an improved formula.

Very easy and took me about 20 seconds to find it. For $2 more per qrt. compared to Maxlife and something that you might need to do every 3 years or so, you know it's the right stuff.

This may be an example of a new license issued due to an improved formula. I have purchased 10-9395 in the past, but don't have the bottles anymore, and no site (that I've found) shows the reverse side of the bottle that would have the license number printed on it. 10-9244 has license number J-60456 on the reverse side, I'm thinking 10-9395 may have an older license number.

If anyone reading has a bottle of 10-9395 can you post the license number? Thanks.

This may be an example of a new license issued due to an improved formula. I have purchased 10-9395 in the past, but don't have the bottles anymore, and no site (that I've found) shows the reverse side of the bottle that would have the license number printed on it. 10-9244 has license number J-60456 on the reverse side, I'm thinking 10-9395 may have an older license number.

If anyone reading has a bottle of 10-9395 can you post the license number? Thanks.

I found a reviewer on Amazon who posted a picture of the reverse side label of 10-9395: License J-60003. As shown in the current Amazon ad, posted by rob1715, 10-9244 has License J-60456.

A Hypothetical but somewhat realistic situation. Let's say I am an additive supplier and one of my products are ATF Dexron VI additives.

And say I decide to improve oxidation resistance by going from a set of Group III base oils to PAOs and AN's. I do some instrumented tests with actual hardware on the new formulation and find that because the Mu(v) friction curves have changed, I need to slightly modify the friction modification chemistry. I change the formulation and retest with sufficient documentation to show that it meets or exceeds all the test requirements. I then submit my test results to GM. If my documentation is sufficient, GM may not generate a new license for me because the new documentation provides proof of an equivalent Dex XX fluid as meeting or exceeding the same requirements the older formulation.

In the case of say Lubrizol, Infineum, and Afton, GM knows that my testing was done on actual "instrumented" hardware (real transmissions with oodles of sensors).

MoleKule, would this be an indication of an improved formula, which will supersede the previous License when supplies run out?

Thanks

Here are pics of the reverse side of 10-9395 & 10-9244
10-9395 Reverse.jpg
10-9244 Reverse.jpg

"New" is not always "improved".
Knowing the trend to favor gas economy (regardless of increased wear), they might have lowered the viscosity, at the lower limit that the original specs tolerated.

PS: They did that with the specs of 75W90. The "new" 75W110 is where the upper limit of 75W90 was in the past.

Back