Valvoline Advanced Spec Sheet Shows dexos1 Gen 3

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
The current spec sheet for Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 says it is meeting the new dexos1 Gen3 spec. I haven't looked at the jugs on the self lately, so wondering if it's already hit the stores?

1653099877621.png

dexos1 Gen3 info:

Turbo "protection" was already an 8 out of 16 on the old AOAP chart of GF-5 v. GF-6A
I see they (Oronite?) reset 8 as "0" on this particular chart.

The 5w30 Advanced I picked up at Wally a month ago was not the new Dexos, guess I have to wait another year.

Last I remember the Noack was 9.2.

The 5w30 Advanced I picked up at Wally a month ago was not the new Dexos, guess I have to wait another year.

Last I remember the Noack was 9.2.
I would think the dexos1 Gen3 version is hitting the shelves now or very soon if their spec sheet shows it meets that spec. Can't see them publishing that info and then waiting 6 months to a year to manufacture it.

I would think the dexos1 Gen3 version is hitting the shelves now or very soon if their spec sheet shows it meets that spec. Can't see them publishing that info and then waiting 6 months to a year to manufacture it.
The way the stuff flies off the shelves at WallyWorld, We should see it very soon. By the way, we shop there every other week and I gravitate to the oil section to check price and availability. Last week the VAS was $28 and change.

Was at wally getting some groceries this morning so I thought I'd check it out and they still don't have the new Dexos version, what I did notice is the price jump, I paid $22.47 a month ago, now it's $29.47, ouch!

What I meant by waiting a year is I won't need any until next April doing annual changes.

The current spec sheet for Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 says it is meeting the new dexos1 Gen3 spec. I haven't looked at the jugs on the self lately, so wondering if it's already hit the stores?

View attachment 100834

dexos1 Gen3 info:

The gen 3 appears to be targeting turbo as opposed to ILSAC GF-6. However keep in mind the Lubrizol spider tool disclaimer below states that the spider chart is used only to compare within the same family of standards. My opinion is when a spider chart comes into play outside of it’s own family of specifications that shows the market crafting.

Last edited:
The gen 3 appears to be targeting turbo as opposed to ILSAC GF-6. However keep in mind the Lubrizol spider tool disclaimer below states that the spider chart is used only to compare within the same family of standards. My opinion is when a spider chart comes into play outside of it’s own family of specifications that shows the market crafting.

According to the spec sheet, it meets everything from SN through dexos1 Gen3. Don't know how one would determine that an oil is targeting turbos vs ILSAC GF-6 if it meets GF-6, and also meets dexos1 Gen3 which is more stringent than GF-6. dexos1 Gen3 is equal to or better than GF-6 in every category.

1653245424117.png

1653245499554.png

According to the spec sheet, it meets everything from SN through dexos1 Gen3. Don't know how one would determine that an oil is targeting turbos vs ILSAC GF-6 if it meets GF-6, and also meets dexos1 Gen3 which is more stringent than GF-6. dexos1 Gen3 is equal to or better than GF-6 in every category.

View attachment 100999

View attachment 101000
It is not that it meets GF-6, the 12 points (tests) are not the same as the 15 tests performed for GF-6. For me when I see this all I see is market manipulation.

It is not that it meets GF-6, the 12 points (tests) are not the same as the 15 tests performed for GF-6. For me when I see this all I see is market manipulation.
The only spider chart performance point I see out of the 12 shown in the chart above is point #1 (Turbocharger cleanliness). They are all equal at the center of the spider chart for point #1, so I'm assuming it has no data - ? Or maybe it's not a test parameter ... don't know. You have anything better showing test performance goals for ILSAC and dexos oils?

The Lubrizol spider chart tool you linked above only shows 7 defined performance points, and they are all "zero" for Soot Thickening - probably because it's for gas engine passenger cars, not diesels.

1653248250750.png

The only spider chart performance point I see out of the 12 shown in the chart above is point #1 (Turbocharger cleanliness). They are all equal at the center of the spider chart for point #1, so I'm assuming it has no data - ? Or maybe it's not a test parameter ... don't know. You have anything better showing test performance goals for ILSAC and dexos oils?

The Lubrizol spider chart tool you linked above only shows 7 defined performance points, and they are all "zero" for Soot Thickening - probably because it's for gas engine passenger cars, not diesels.

View attachment 101006
So… the Lubrizol spider chart means nothing… Does your chart tell you anything valuable about GF-6? The Dexos commercial is handing you the cards they play.

Last edited:
So… the Lubrizol spider chart means nothing… Does your chart tell you anything valuable about GF-6?
I didn't say the Lubrizol spider chart means nothing ... only said it shows less performance points. Both those spider charts basically show that dexos1 Gen3 should be better in a lot of those defined performance areas than either dexos1 Gen2 or GF-5 and GF-6. What else could be concluded? If an oil gets the dexos1 Gen3 certification, then it has meet those higher performance requirements.

My opinion is Lubrizol chart means nothing to me. You cannot compare when you do not know the test or the score gradient. It is all one sided.

My opinion is Lubrizol chart means nothing to me. You cannot compare when you do not know the test or the score gradient. It is all one sided.
I think the spider charts are simply showing the minimum relative (key words) level of performance levels in those catagories for each oil rating (ILSAC/API) in order to meet or exceed, and get the corresponding certiication. It simply shows that the test requirement specs are higher in some areas for dexos1 Gen3 than some other ratings like dexis1 Gen2 and GF-6. There are tests that determine if an oil can pass those minimum requirements and make the decos1 Gen3 certificatiin on the bottle. It does mean something, it's not pulled out of a hat.

Back