Valvoline 75k Dex/Merc comparability ATF+4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a dumb man. But sometimes I do dumb things. This is 100% my fault. So here is the plot.

My 2014 Town and Country just turned 100k. So I figured I would do the works. Brakes all around, oil change brake fluid change and transmission fluid change.

Went to Autozone and ordered all the stuff. I was not paying attention and got the Valvoline Dex/Merc. Right now it still has it compatible with my vehicle. And even on Amazon when I put in Valvoline dex/merc it lists it as compatible.

But everything I am reading it says do not mix different fluid types. And I knew I needed the ATF+4.

So I am assuming I am going to have to drain the system a couple times to get the dex/merc out. The question is did I do any damage just by mixing the 2 fluids in the transmission ? I have not driven it. Just started and moved it 4 feet to close the garage door.

Help ! ! ! LOL (At this point I can only laugh, otherwise I would cry)

15.gif

No biggie. Your transmission will not implode. Get that fluid out of there, install the correct ATF+4, and sleep well. We all goof up once in a while.

I went to the Valvolene site and see no product sheets suggesting that Dex/Mercon fluid is compatible with transmissions requiring ATF+4. Since ATF+4 is a licensed product, even the Walmart Supertech brand will be excellent. Do some price shopping. $53 for 3 gallons at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/nco/12-pack...UjsjT4QIVk__jBx3-bQDXEAkYAiABEgJuXfD_BwE

This site explains why the Walmart SuperTech is as good as any other: https://www.centerforqa.com/chrysler-about/

Thanks for the links !

Do I need to flush the system or just remove the pan again and fill it up ? Will the residual dex/merc have any side effects ?

The reason I am concerned and want to make sure this is right is my vehicle is still covered under the MaxCare warranty. And I would prefer not to void it.

It is weird that both Amazon and Autozone both have it as compatible. Ugh.......

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
If it were me I would do a cooler line flush to make sure it's full of ATF+4. The friction coefficients in Dex/Merc and ATF+4 are vastly different and Chrysler transmissions don't like to play nice with incorrect fluids.

That being said, I doubt you have done any damage yet. Just get the correct fluid in there asap.

I would do a full flush--drain the pan, fill and then pop a cooler line off, start the engine, and run fluid through the system until the full system capacity has gone through. Then I would probably repeat in 5k or 10k, just to make sure -- that is probably overkill, but that is what I'd do. [My thinking being, there are all sorts of nooks and crannies that won't drain quickly. By putting some miles on, the wrong fluid will be fully dispersed into the proper stuff. A second flush will really dilute it down. Overkill? Sure. But at what cost, other than time and a few gallons of ATF?]

The manual specifically states that Dexeron is not compatible with the transmission. Now Valvoline could have the right amount of FM in the product that it can cover both specs as a "Multi Vehicle" formula but I would confirm that with them by calling the 1-800 number on the back of the product to be sure because Chrysler transmissions can be quite picky about the right FM in the fluid and the correct fluid level.

Failing that, flush the system and replace with ATF+4 spec fluid to be safe. The easiest way is to remove the transmission line on the top of the transmission that has the black cap on it. There is a clip you remove from the collar and then pull the line up. Connect this to a hose going to a drain pan. Start the vehicle and let 5 quarts drain out and shut the vehicle down. Refill the transmission using the dipstick tube with 5 quarts and then start the vehicle and let it drain out 5 additional quarts. Shut the vehicle down, replace the transmission cooler line back in place and put 3 quarts in the transmission and restart the vehicle and check for proper level using the 62TE time/temperature chart and adjust as necessary at 1/4 of a quart at a time.

This will get 100% of the fluid out of the system including whats in the cooler part of the radiator.

See this thread for a picture of the transmission lines: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4498548/2015_Grand_Caravan_super_easy_

Fluid Level / Temperature Chart:
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Fwiw, MaxLife is no longer uses moniker MaxLife Dex/Merc, hasn't for awhile now. Imo, now more appropriately called, MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF, Full Synthetic. That aside, best place to find ML 'suitable for' listing is in the ML PI sheet. https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...bd3/3fa3136a-09bd-e711-9c12-ac162d889bd1 As noted, ATF+4 not listed/included.

While I doubt it will hurt your trans for brief time, as noted best to get it out but whatever method works best for you and go with a licensed ATF+4 fluid. Licensed ATF+4 product use also mentioned in ML PI sheet.

welcome2.gif

If you don't already have one, I would suggest an aftermarket transmission pan that has a drain plug, so future ATF changes will be much easier
smile.gif

But yeah, just change it again with ATF+4. Drain and fill once, then drive around a bit, then drain again, repeat 3-4x
smile.gif

Thanks for all the input guys. I removed the transmission line and pumped 6 quarts of the ATF+4 after letting the DEX/MERC get pumped out. I filled it to the 45mm level.

Crazy thing is it was filled up to about the 75mm mark I am assuming from the factory when it was cold.

Originally Posted by Anthony951
Thanks for all the input guys. I removed the transmission line and pumped 6 quarts of the ATF+4 after letting the DEX/MERC get pumped out. I filled it to the 45mm level.

Crazy thing is it was filled up to about the 75mm mark I am assuming from the factory when it was cold.

You have to start it and put it in drive for 10 seconds, reverse for 10 seconds, then park and check the level against the temperature chart. If you don't have a scan tool to check fluid temperature in the transmission wait until the vehicle has sat over night and measure the air temperature outside and use that to give you a close enough gauge (with the vehicle running) or take the pan temperature using an infrared gun. Not 100% accurate but close enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back