valvoline 4t motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw on amsoils website how valvoline dino 10w40 was compared in the oil test. This oil is usually cheap under 4 bucks a quart. What do you guys know bout it and who uses it? Thanks

I can tell you the synthetic works well in my Triumph. My friend uses the dino version in his V star 650 and seems quite happy with it.

What are you going to use it in?

clevy,
you really havent looked then have you.

pretty sure i posted the uoa and this info many times.

worst clutch feel from an oil i have ever tested. period.

not 20 feet into my first ride on it i was ready to dump it on the ground and never touch it again.

i tested the valvoline 20w50 motorcycle specific.

flash of 420
susvis of just 82.3 - so not in grade

i dont care if they have switched the formula and made it better i will never use their MS line again.

love the VR1 line!

steve

I use it sometimes, sometimes 15w40 rotella, sometimes 10w40 rotella T5, other times 10W30 rotella T5 in bikes that are ok to run 10W30. All these work fine and I can't tell $0.02 worth of difference except for sure 15W40 is no good in winter. I'd say if you want a decent oil rated for motorcycle use the valvoline is a good choice at a decent price.

I did one run of 4K with Val syn 10-40 motorcycle oil on my Can Am which is extremely hard on oil shearing due, I think, to the semi-auto transmission. I tested it against Amsoil which I've been using and it came out reasonably well but did shear slightly more than Amsoil. I'd use it again if Amsoil wasn't avail at similar prices to me but would change at 3 to 3.5K miles instead of my normal 4K.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
clevy,
you really havent looked then have you.

pretty sure i posted the uoa and this info many times.

worst clutch feel from an oil i have ever tested. period.

not 20 feet into my first ride on it i was ready to dump it on the ground and never touch it again.

i tested the valvoline 20w50 motorcycle specific.

flash of 420
susvis of just 82.3 - so not in grade

i dont care if they have switched the formula and made it better i will never use their MS line again.

love the VR1 line!

steve

I'm am now going to read every one of your posts. If you say the mc oil sucks then I believe you.
If anyone is a bike oil expert you are it.
I have been informed.
Thanks Steve.
1300 posts. Looks like I'm going to be awhile.
PS
The rotella in my Harley is thus far the most quiet oil I've ever used as far as top end noise,EVER.
I'm glad I listened to you on that point.
K. Off to learn about valvoline bike oils.

Sorry, I ain't buying that the Valvoline sucks. I've had Amsoil and Rotella in my bike, and it never shifted as smoothly, nor was the clutch ever as smooth as it is with the Valvoline....if the Valvoline sucks, then that must mean Amsoil and Rotella are pure garbage...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Sorry, I ain't buying that the Valvoline sucks. I've had Amsoil and Rotella in my bike, and it never shifted as smoothly, nor was the clutch ever as smooth as it is with the Valvoline....if the Valvoline sucks, then that must mean Amsoil and Rotella are pure garbage...

Ain't buying it.
Well I can say in all honesty that if sunruh says it,then it is so. That man has data,not opinion,on every bike oil available,and if he says its junk then it is.
As far as amsoil or rotella in my vast experience using these products in my personal bikes I've found them to work great,however the amsoil 4t bike oil sheared faster in service than rotella did. I doubt very much that any additional wear came of the oil shearing as I know amsoil had great additive packages but for cost per mile rotella is a better value.
I'm just speaking from experience using different oils for many hundreds of thousands of miles

Shear is just something all of us with shared sump bikes live with. Tis the price of unit construction. My Triumph says I can run a 40 weight or a 50 weight oil. So if my 50 weight shears down to a 40, that is okay as long as the additive package keeps the wear numbers low and the tranny and engine protected.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: grampi

Ain't buying it.
Well I can say in all honesty that if sunruh says it,then it is so. That man has data,not opinion,on every bike oil available,and if he says its junk then it is.
As far as amsoil or rotella in my vast experience using these products in my personal bikes I've found them to work great,however the amsoil 4t bike oil sheared faster in service than rotella did. I doubt very much that any additional wear came of the oil shearing as I know amsoil had great additive packages but for cost per mile rotella is a better value.
I'm just speaking from experience using different oils for many hundreds of thousands of miles

He may have the data, but I have personal experience which to me is more valuable then data...if the Valvoline was no good I'd know it by now...

Im going to have to side with the Valvoline 4T in my shared sup bikes as well, ive gone back and forth for years between mobil one and valvoline in my R1 and could tell no difference in shift quality, sound, ect.. i have Rotella T6 in both bikes now and the jury is still out in my bikes..

Valvoline data may say its garbage.. maybe it is.. Sunruh knows his stuff on this topic, im just piping up and saying ive been happy with valvoline in my bikes in plenty of past usage.

if it feels good in YOUR bike thats great!

if it does NOT feel good in YOUR bike then don't use it!

not all bikes produce the same results with the same oil.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
if it feels good in YOUR bike thats great!

if it does NOT feel good in YOUR bike then don't use it!

not all bikes produce the same results with the same oil.

Now that I agree with!

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Feel is only so much. Only way to tell if your bike likes it is to do a UOA.

I'm not talking just about the "feel" of the oil, I'm also saying I've been using the Valvoline long enough now that if it was no good, I'd be seeing some ill effects by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back