Valvetrain Pics 01 Civic ~168k mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Interesting to see two roller tipped rockers on the exhaust side and only 1 roller tipped rocker on the intake... Is this a VTEC engine?

Correct, it is the EX model.

Interesting to see two roller tipped rockers on the exhaust side and only 1 roller tipped rocker on the intake... Is this a VTEC engine?

I think this one has the "economy" VTEC, where one intake rocker is riding on a nearly flat cam lobe (the one without the roller) and the other is riding on a normal cam lobe (the one with the roller). Below 2,200 rpm, both rockers operate on their own lobes, so one intake valve just barely opens while the other opens fully. After 2,200 rpm, a sliding pin moves over to join both rocker arms, and both essentially operate on the big cam lobe through the rocker arm with the roller on it.

It looks like you can see this on cylinder #1 in the first picture. You can see that the valve with the rollering rocker arm is depressed while the valve with the sliding rocker arm doesn't appear to be depressed.

I never understood why Honda didn't "rollerize" the one rocker arm in this design. The K24 engine has nearly the same VTEC setup, but all rocker arms have rollers. I guess it's because the one rocker arm without the roller just doesn't see much use, other than at idle and slow engine speeds, so they saved the cost on those rocker arms.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I think this one has the "economy" VTEC, where one intake rocker is riding on a nearly flat cam lobe (the one without the roller) and the other is riding on a normal cam lobe (the one with the roller). Below 2,200 rpm, both rockers operate on their own lobes, so one intake valve just barely opens while the other opens fully. After 2,200 rpm, a sliding pin moves over to join both rocker arms, and both essentially operate on the big cam lobe through the rocker arm with the roller on it.

It looks like you can see this on cylinder #1 in the first picture. You can see that the valve with the rollering rocker arm is depressed while the valve with the sliding rocker arm doesn't appear to be depressed.

I never understood why Honda didn't "rollerize" the one rocker arm in this design. The K24 engine has nearly the same VTEC setup, but all rocker arms have rollers. I guess it's because the one rocker arm without the roller just doesn't see much use, other than at idle and slow engine speeds, so they saved the cost on those rocker arms.

So this is the iVTEC I assume then?

Nope. It's gen 7 civic version and engines are still on mechanical VTEC.

It's not until gen 8 where civic engine begins it's life with iVTEC.

Q

i-VTEC in Honda-speak means that there's a computer-controlled element in addition to the standard VTEC functionality (which was historically based mostly on engine speed). There are at least two different implementations of i-VTEC.

On the K-series engine, i-VTEC means that in addition to the mechanical VTEC in the valvetrain, the computer can also phase the intake camshaft timing through 25 to 50 degrees of adjustment (depending on the engine).

On the J-series V-6 engine, i-VTEC means the addition of Variable Cylinder Management (VCM), where the engine can run on 3, 4, or all 6 cylinders, all controlled by the PCM. None of the J-series V-6 engines have camshaft phasing, regardless of whether it's the standard VTEC or i-VTEC.

My favorite implementation of i-VTEC is in Honda's R-series engine (found mostly in 1.8L form in the US Honda Civic), which will sometimes run the throttle butterfly wide open while using the valvetrain to limit the amount of air available to the engine, reducing pumping losses. You can read more on that here.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Just for interests sake what typical driving conditions was the 5w20 oil exposed to ?

The car has been driven ~60/40, 'city'/highway ratio, perhaps a bit more to the city side predominantly in the NC/SC/GA region. So, ~35-50mph around town, highway ~55-70mph, just average type driving conditions. The 1.7L doesn't really lend itself to true spirited driving, but it's competent in average daily driving. As for 5w20, it's what is Honda spec'd and I've seen/found no performance reason to use anything on the thicker side.

You're joking, right?
Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Oh dear, your oil mist plate on the cover is SLUDGED beyond repair! I think it's time to scrap the engine!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Changed it out a couple years back just because it had never been done. Still have it, just a little gunk on it, but ~9 years at the time, pretty good. It's in a weird place though, best accessed from under the vehicle and it's a screw in type.

Lastly an fyi, this is now my daughter's vehicle.

Ah, I've still got the good 'ole OE catch can of sorts, form of "breather chamber", on the 92 hatch. I've been itching to take it off the next time the oil filter is removed, plan on cleaning it out and may *gulp* consider getting an OE PCV valve. I've got a B/A labeled one installed now. Yeah...those Civic's had hard to get to screwed in PCV valves, eh?

No breather chamber on the 01, just a metal breather cover. It seems the chamber ended in 00 with the 6th gen. One 'might' be able to access the pcv from the top of the engine but it would totally blind work. I bought an AZ Champ made aftermarket because the store is close and they had it in stock on display packet while I had the vehicle up on ramps. If one looks at the parts schematic on some Honda parts sites, there appears to an optional or other model application using a rubber grommet and plug in type pcv.

Looks like a well oiled machine.
Regarding oil choices, I think it takes pretty extreme conditions to mess with an engine if there is clean, proper SAE type oil flowing. What I mean is, the more I see out there, and the more I think about it, it's pretty hard for the motor oil to fail the engine under any normal circumstances. It's a slippery, tough film with detergents etc. The engine is designed to be lubed and splashed and cooled with it, and as long as you stay with a properly spec'ed name brand you should be good for many years.

Nice d17, keep doing with you are doing.

Changing the PCV on my 6th gen d16y7 was such a PITA...

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Looks like a well oiled machine.....

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Nice d17, keep doing with you are doing.

Changing the PCV on my 6th gen d16y7 was such a PITA...

Thanks. PCV in 7th gen is only a pain from the stand point that it's best accessed from underneath vehicle, and is a screw type. Compared to CMP/TDC sensor though, a walk in the park.

Perhaps the biggest surprise about this vehicle, at least according to carcomplaints, the factory AT is still functional, (he says fingers crossed/knock wood/no kiss of death). Just ~25k interval single d&f's with Z-1, last time with MaxLife.

Hi all, took some photos of my valvetrain on similar engine (non-VTEC, SOHC). 2002 Civic, 1.7L. Around 319,000km, oil changed every 10K-15K km with whatever name brand was on sale. What do you think about Cylinder one exhaust valve, seems to be getting excessive heat?

edit

edit

edit

edit

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Knuckles
Hi all, took some photos of my valvetrain on similar engine (non-VTEC, SOHC). 2002 Civic, 1.7L. Around 319,000km, oil changed every 10K-15K km with whatever name brand was on sale. What do you think about Cylinder one exhaust valve, seems to be getting excessive heat?

edit

edit

edit

edit

Knuckles for some reason Google Drive will only let me view your pics very briefly then I get an error message. What I can see looks very similar to mine but can't see cylinder one long enough to comment. Maybe you could put it on a photobucket acount, or perhaps it's just my old desktop computer. Welcome to Bitog.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
I hope you like the car, the engine's going to last a long time.

Ha! And that's the issue, things like headliners, replaced once, rear speakers dead (too difficult to replace) likely from sun and other pesky things happen before engine will die. And of course the reason I had the valve cover off was to replace the TDC/camshaft position sensor, sort of a pita. Fixed the issue though and I just had new Akebono Pro Act brakes installed so hopefully can keep it going a while longer. Hey, the notorious 01 automatic trans is still shifting with only minimal regular d&f maintenance. Knock wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back