Valvetrain Pics 01 Civic ~168k mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost exclusively dino, early years on lots of 5w20 MC Synblend. Last several years, whatever major's 5w20 dino is sale priced. One, maybe two max synthetic oci's. Average oci 5500-6k, in 5-6 months. Took the VC off to replace a camshaft position/TDC sensor with is under the timing belt cover, but that's another story for another thread.

Civicvalvetrain-cpsensor005.jpg

Civicvalvetrain-cpsensor012.jpg

Civicvalvetrain-cpsensor016.jpg

Civicvalvetrain-cpsensor020.jpg

Oh dear, your oil mist plate on the cover is SLUDGED beyond repair! I think it's time to scrap the engine!

Nice pics!
MC is a good oil and P66 makes some great engine oils. (no longer COP, since they split all the oils and lubes are now Phillips 66).

Just goes to show that a reasonable OCI and today's quality dino oils (SM/SN) can keep an engine just as clean as synthetic under normal operating conditions.

Wow if you looked up SLUDGE in the dictionary you would find these pics...

J/K of course!!!

Obviously this is a BITOGer's engine.

nice pics!

This proves how much dino oils have evolved and progressed over the years.

Your valvetrain looks spanking clean -- some varnish but @ 170K ur baby is going strong!!!

Varnished so nice and evenly it looks like my end table. Nothing wrong with that though, nice motor.

Should of used synthetic 100% of the time because synthetic is made by pixies and because it is pixie made the valve cover would be so bright it would blind normal humans while looking at it.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
This proves how much dino oils have evolved and progressed over the years.

How so? When I pulled the valve covers on my dad's 1972 Imperial in 1980 to replace the gaskets, the insides were just as clean as in this picture. The car had over 100,000 miles and had had a steady diet of Kendall 10w40 since new changed every 4K to 5K miles.

Originally Posted By: Geonerd
Oh dear, your oil mist plate on the cover is SLUDGED beyond repair! I think it's time to scrap the engine!
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Should of used synthetic 100% of the time because synthetic is made by pixies and because it is pixie made the valve cover would be so bright it would blind normal humans while looking at it.

LOL. Yeah, thought I'd show the valve cover for some reference to compare to the valvetrain pics. While it may appear a bit darker, it too looked ok/good to me.

Originally Posted By: mrcoolguy
Looks really good. Can you see any of the valvetrain through the filler hole?

Yes, a glimpse of it. In valve cover pic, the hole in the lower right is the filler hole. So in valvetrain pics #1 and 2, the upper/right hand corner area would be what I could see, one valve spring and a small area around it. Even before pulling the cover, it looked fine. At least it doesn't have a baffle obstructing most of the view like my Tacoma.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Varnished so nice and evenly it looks like my end table. Nothing wrong with that though, nice motor.

Looking at it naked eye using a drop light in the garage, it didn't appear as dark as the pics. Camera really brings out the color.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
....Curious, OE PCV valve?

Changed it out a couple years back just because it had never been done. Still have it, just a little gunk on it, but ~9 years at the time, pretty good. It's in a weird place though, best accessed from under the vehicle and it's a screw in type.

Lastly an fyi, this is now my daughter's vehicle.

^^^ When the car was new, MC SynBlend 5w20 was the most readily available, best value 5w20. When it showed up at Wally available in 5 quart jugs, it was a no brainer. Only other 5w20 at Wally was some GTX quarts only at first, and stock wasn't consistent. Besides, I thought the words SynBlend 'sounded better' than GTX at the time. After becoming a Bitog member, became more knowlegeable and saw MC SynBlend very well respected here.

It has a lot more competition price wise and otherwise now. Still good, but with QSUD just above it in price, also many syn promo/rebates and many dinos significantly lower in price and also promos, not quite the value it was back in the early days.

Interesting to see two roller tipped rockers on the exhaust side and only 1 roller tipped rocker on the intake... Is this a VTEC engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back