Valve covers off, 78 Ranchero

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally got around to hooking an aftermarket temp gauge up since the stock one doesnt work, and realized shes running a bit warm. around 205 degrees. So i went to replace the thermostat and realized i can only get to 1 of the 2 thermostat housing bolts, unless i remove either A, the intake manifold, or B, i believe the timing cover. So i went the intake manifold route. Sorry i forgot to take pics with the manifold off, but i did get pics of the valve covers off. I didnt have to remove these to get the manifold off, but since they come off so easily, i figured WTH.
I've owned her almost a year, and have ran formula shell, valvoline, and after running it for about 20 minutes after this procedure ill be changing it with rotella t 10w30. Im using that for the ZDDP, although im not sure if thats entirely necessary since this engine was rebuilt a year or 2 before i took possession. Not sure if it would still have flat bottom lifters or not...? (any input on that would be appreciated)
Anyways, heres the pics

2012-06-10_09-21-14_731.jpg

2012-06-10_09-21-57_26.jpg

Back together:
2012-06-10_12-23-06_732.jpg

2012-06-10_12-23-41_844.jpg

Whats the thing that looks like a coffee can on the right side of the third pic?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Whats the thing that looks like a coffee can on the right side of the third pic?

Vacuum canister. One of Ford's "bean counter" moments. My old townie has it too.

I would think its flat tappet.They would need to install some sort of guide to keep the lifters from rotating if they installed a roller affair.

you removed the intake manifold to acess the lower thetmostat bolt? I use a custom bent wrench after I turn the distributer out of the way. thats not a 78 engine as they did not use roller rockers back then.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
ill be changing it with rotella t 10w30. Im using that for the ZDDP, although im not sure if thats entirely necessary since this engine was rebuilt a year or 2 before i took possession. Not sure if it would still have flat bottom lifters or not...? (any input on that would be appreciated)

The original or a similar vintage engine would have flat tappets. That is, unless the previous owner upgraded to a roller setup, which adds a lot of money to a rebuild. The roller-tip rocker arms aren't stock. It might be interesting to find out what cam was used, especially if it seems like a high performance grind.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
you removed the intake manifold to acess the lower thetmostat bolt? I use a custom bent wrench after I turn the distributer out of the way. thats not a 78 engine as they did not use roller rockers back then.

yep, wasnt able to modify any tools, and it wasnt too big of a job.. So with the roller rockers you see, would it be safe to use modern oils that have less zddp?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I couldn't get here fast enough with that question....that's the first thing I noticed.
That's a great old rig, when a car was a machine......

Ford used those tomato juice cans into the later '80s at least, my '86 Grand Marquis had one... Later they were replaced by a round croquette ball type...

That engine has aftermarket roller tip rockers installed, ford never had anything like that in the '70s...

thats not a 78 engine as they did not use roller rockers back then.

Somebody put roller rockers on the engine. They are not factory.

Yup, as others have said it is a vaccum can. When I sold parts at the Ford dealer and that part was needed by a mechanic or body shop they asked for a "coffee can" and we always knew what they meant.

I think it would be quite safe to assume the roller rockers are aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I would think its flat tappet.They would need to install some sort of guide to keep the lifters from rotating if they installed a roller affair.

If it has roller lifters, they'd be of the link-bar style, and wouldn't be visible in any of the pictures the OP posted.

205 when? Does it run cooler now? What thermostat did you install? A 190 stat was typically installed when it left the factory.

Roller tipped rocker arms were a nice upgrade for when the motor was rebuilt and are independent of the cam selection. I have 'em on my '66 289 (COMP Cams 1442-16) with a flat tappet camshaft. I run 10W-30 Rotella Triple T and 15W-40 on track days. Should be fine. It looks pretty good from your photos, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back