vaio vgn-n150p: what to do with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Computer BITOGers,
i have an old laptop which from my search is not even saleable anymore (i can only find keyboards, batteries and lcd screens in my searches).
Sony vaio VGN-N150p.

what should i do with it? kids have now tablets and i just replaced the small slow 5,400 rot. 60gb HDD with a 250GB 7,200 rot. HDD and kept it for kids to see their movies/serials.

the winxp on it does not really moves much quicker (just 2 gb ram) so:
-would this be a good project for them to:
-install linux of ........ variety
-install some windows
-give them couple of screwdrivers
-give them a hammer
-etc
-

Thank you for your suggestions

If it is a working laptop, I would leave it as-is and let the kids use it. I assume at some point they will need some word processing for homework and such ?
I rarely advise giving Linux to anybody but the most motivated user, as I do not want the burden of supporting them.

bump it to 4gb(cheap)
then install mint,ubuntu,whatever linux you like.or try em all.play and learn since its no ones primary machine.
its a core 2 duo so its still plenty useful.
xp wont use more than 3.25 gb ram but should still run good as long as you dont have redundant unneeded junk software or malware.

Just installed Linux Mint Mate on a machine with almost the same specs, it ran great even with 2 GB of RAM.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Just installed Linux Mint Mate on a machine with almost the same specs, it ran great even with 2 GB of RAM.

Might do that + edubuntu extensions..

Thank you ALL who responded in the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back