VAG oil specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Manual says one thing, a sticker inside the engine compartment says another. Manual States "502, 504 or 507" may be used.

Inside Engine compartment says "USE 502 ONLY"

So take that what its worth.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
My Manual says one thing, a sticker inside the engine compartment says another. Manual States "502, 504 or 507" may be used.

Inside Engine compartment says "USE 502 ONLY"

So take that what its worth.

Jeff

I would stick to 502.00 and 5K!
They said in the end of 90'2 that you can use any oil in 1.8T and we all know what happened.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Could be. Though I just cannot see VW504.00/507.00 to work good in 2.0T engine for 10k except in CA!

It works fine on a 5K OCI (I'm doing it in two 2.0TFSI Audis right now and have done UOAs) and if one believes the Lubrizoil study, using a 504.00 oil has significant advantages in reducing intake valve deposits on direct injection engines.

They said in the end of 90'2 that you can use any oil in 1.8T and we all know what happened.

If you're going to run a 5K interval you might as well use a 504.00 oil if we're talking about direct injection engines.

For older manifold injection engines, 502.00 is the best option.

Originally Posted By: dbrowne1

If you're going to run a 5K interval you might as well use a 504.00 oil if we're talking about direct injection engines.

For older manifold injection engines, 502.00 is the best option.

There is NO WAY I would use 504.00 except in CA!

in my 2001 1.8T jetta bought new, after break-in, 5,000 i ran amsoil 10-30 now called signature series changed at 10,000 while working, after retiring it was yearly with a filter @ 6 months, traded on a 2001 Audi TT 1.8T 225Q, both cars modified to close to 300 hp, VW had 20" of vacuum at trade time and ran great, great car just wanted something different after 11 years, i love the TT my first rag-top, can't go wrong with Quattro for sure!

Why not? It holds up just fine on a 5K OCI and it is significantly better in terms of intake valve deposits on DI engines.

Like I said, for manifold injection engines, yes, definitely use a 502.00 oil. But for the newer DI engines, there is a very good reason to use a 504.00 oil.

Why not? It holds up just fine on a 5K OCI and it is significantly better in terms of intake valve deposits on DI engines.

Like I said, for manifold injection engines, yes, definitely use a 502.00 oil. But for the newer DI engines, there is a very good reason to use a 504.00 oil.

Well someone posted that engineers at Redline said in an e-mail that there is no any proof that Low-SAPS oil reduces carbon build-up.
Also, for carbon build up most important is Low NOACK, which 504.00/507.00 oils do not have.
For example PU 5W30 Euro Low-SAPS has NOACK 11%.

Well someone posted that engineers at Redline said in an e-mail that there is no any proof that Low-SAPS oil reduces carbon build-up.
Also, for carbon build up most important is Low NOACK, which 504.00/507.00 oils do not have.

There is zero correlation between NOACK and DI engine valve deposits. None. Zip. That is a theory that has been discussed and debunked here for years.

I have no idea about any second-hand translation of what the "engineers" at Redline supposedly said in an email, but I don't really need to guess at that because Lubrizol (which is a Fortune 500 company) did a study that pretty convincingly proved that low SAPS oils do in fact reduce valve deposits on DI engines. A lot, in fact.

Lubrizol Paper - Go to Page 19

That paper has been around since 2006, none of this is news.

Last edited:

How does it meet MB 229.51 with that NOACK of 11%? Another SOPUS typo?

SAPS content does has an influence on valve deposits. It's one of the specifications for the 504 low-SAPS oils.

yy7d.png

lbsd.png

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

How does it meet MB 229.51 with that NOACK of 11%? Another SOPUS typo?

Hmmm, good point could be.
Still, not really ready to jump on VW504.00/507.00
Maybe 505.01.
I can locally get Pentosin 5W40 that meets VW 505.01, MB229.51, BMW LL-04

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back