VAG oil specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen quite a number of questions in this forum on the subject of "do I need a 502 oil" or "do I need a 504 oil" for my VW or audi.

It is quite simple really, the VAG oil specification 507.00 supersedes all previous oil specifications, with the exception for a few pumpe-diesel engines that still need a specific 506.01 oil. It seems VAG is working on a new 508.00 oil specification.

The 507.00 type is a 5W-30 oil, and I personally use Mobil 1 ESP formula 5W-30. It is a longlife oil that meets or exceeds the ACEA specifications C2/C3, A3/B3/B4, and A5/B5, and since it is a longlife oil normally you can use it for 30,000km or 24 months. I just don't know if it is available in the US.

Originally Posted By: caesar
It is quite simple really, the VAG oil specification 507.00 supersedes all previous oil specifications,

Not in countries without ULSG, such as US. Out here, VW and BMW advise against the use of mid/low SAPS oils in their gasoline engines.

I might be wrong. But as far as I remember. The 507.00 is for diesel engines. The newest norm for petrol engines is 504.00 with is special for fsi engines(direct injection)

However. Usually a 507.00 oil usually also Cary the 504.00 and vice versa.

Last edited:
I've seen quite a number of questions in this forum on the subject of "do I need a 502 oil" or "do I need a 504 oil" for my VW or audi.

It is quite simple really, the VAG oil specification 507.00 supersedes all previous oil specifications, with the exception for a few pumpe-diesel engines that still need a specific 506.01 oil. It seems VAG is working on a new 508.00 oil specification.

The 507.00 type is a 5W-30 oil, and I personally use Mobil 1 ESP formula 5W-30. It is a longlife oil that meets or exceeds the ACEA specifications C2/C3, A3/B3/B4, and A5/B5, and since it is a longlife oil normally you can use it for 30,000km or 24 months. I just don't know if it is available in the US.

Actually, early 507.00 was not suitable for the V10/R5 TDI motors. Instead of a timing belt or chain, it used gears, which put huge shear onto the oil. The standard for 507.00 was revised and thus became suitable for those 2 TDI motors.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It is quite simple really, the VAG oil specification 507.00 supersedes all previous oil specifications,

Not in countries without ULSG, such as US. Out here, VW and BMW advise against the use of mid/low SAPS oils in their gasoline engines.

the most recent revision of 502.00 expanded the oils to include mid-SAPS.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
the most recent revision of 502.00 expanded the oils to include mid-SAPS.

I see, but 502.00 still requires a minimum TBN of 7. 504/507 does not. M1 ESP 5w-30 that the OP mentioned was tested to have a TBN of 5.4 in some VOAs. When combined with non-ULSG gas, these oils appear to be struggling to make it through an extended OCI.

VAG had the 502.00, 503.00, 503.01 and 504.00 oil specifications for petrol engines, and the 505.00, 505.01, 506.00, and 506.01 specifications for diesel engines, and replaced all them by the 507.00 specification as far as I'm aware. It does make sense, since the next petrol engine oil specification would have been a 505.00, but that number was already taken by the diesel oils.

I suppose you should have a look at the manual of a modern VAG car (US version) to see what kind of oil is specified.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Actually, early 507.00 was not suitable for the V10/R5 TDI motors. Instead of a timing belt or chain, it used gears, which put huge shear onto the oil. The standard for 507.00 was revised and thus became suitable for those 2 TDI motors.

It seems these engines were changed after 2005, the oil may have remained the same. The Mobil 1 oil is not suitable for V10/R5 TDI engines from before 2006.

This is from the owner's manual of a 2013 Jetta (US):

vw_oil_OM.png

VAG had the 502.00, 503.00, 503.01 and 504.00 oil specifications for petrol engines, and the 505.00, 505.01, 506.00, and 506.01 specifications for diesel engines, and replaced all them by the 507.00 specification as far as I'm aware.

Your awareness needs correcting then.

The current VW "longlife III" oil specification is "VW 504 00/507 00"; the 504 00 is for gasoline and the 507 00 is for diesel.

Not correct. In fact, more recent owners' manuals in U.S. VAG cars have listed 504.00 as an acceptable oil.

ETA: In fact, you posted an excerpt from one.

I personally use a 504.00 oil in my two Audi 2.0TFSI engines to reduce intake valve deposits, but change it every 5K miles to mitigate any TBN issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dbrowne1

Not correct. In fact, more recent owners' manuals in U.S. VAG cars have listed 504.00 as an acceptable oil.

ETA: In fact, you posted an excerpt from one.

LOL. Yes, I realized that after the fact that my information was a bit outdated. Sorry about that. The page glxpassat posted still shows the old info though...
http://www.vw.com/en/owners/parts-and-accessories/care/oil.html

Quote:
I personally use a 504.00 oil in my two Audi 2.0TFSI engines to reduce intake valve deposits, but change it every 5K miles to mitigate any TBN issues.

So you do agree that there is an issue with being able to run extended OCI with 504.00 oil in a gasoline engine using non-ULSG, then?

Hi !
I am fully new ... and french on this forum, and I was looking for this tool:
"Widman graph tool"
As you are aware of many parts of this forum, could you help me to find this tool wich is an extrapolation of the viscosity by the means of 40°C and 100°C viscosity points.
Thanks in advance for help
Best regards

Last edited:

So you do agree that there is an issue with being able to run extended OCI with 504.00 oil in a gasoline engine using non-ULSG, then?

I'm not sure if it's the sulphur (which actually isn't that high in US gas anymore) or the ethanol, but my own limited UOAs at 5K make me hesitant to push these oils much further.

I certainly wouldn't go 10K. Then again, as a former owner of a longitudinal 1.8T A4, I thought the whole 10K mile OCI recommendation was a bad idea for lots of reasons.

VAG had the 502.00, 503.00, 503.01 and 504.00 oil specifications for petrol engines, and the 505.00, 505.01, 506.00, and 506.01 specifications for diesel engines, and replaced all them by the 507.00 specification as far as I'm aware. It does make sense, since the next petrol engine oil specification would have been a 505.00, but that number was already taken by the diesel oils.

I suppose you should have a look at the manual of a modern VAG car (US version) to see what kind of oil is specified.

I suppose you should now what says in VW manual for the U.S, Russian, etc markets.
Those markets have high sulfur content in gas, so High SAPS oils are recommended.

All the VAG I've tried is self-lubricating. If you need lube try a VAG with a later production date.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

I suppose you should now what says in VW manual for the U.S, Russian, etc markets.
Those markets have high sulfur content in gas, so High SAPS oils are recommended.

Actually, if you look at the most recent owners manuals for the U.S. - an excerpt of one of them having already been posted in this very thread - you'll see that VW now has 504.00 as being an approved/recommended oil spec.

Here it is again, from a U.S. 2013 Jetta manual:

vw_oil_OM.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back