vacuum to clean out car?

I mostly use the M18 0880

I recently got the 0910 6-gallon and for me it revolutionized larger shop vac use mostly because of the lack of a cord. Much like OP I hated the cord on my old Shop Vac.

I totally realize it's a First World problem but cords just drive me insane. I literally get anxious and agitated.....so maybe I should be medicated???

The 0910 also has a lot of smart features like a nice, long, flexible hose with good hose storage. Milwaukee claims the hose can be rolled over and forced flat and not suffer damage, although I'm skeptical.

It runs a surprisingly long time on a 12.0 and power is good. The casters are quality and roll easily, so you're not fighting it while trying to position it.

Finally, with a simple foot pedal it unclips from the rolling base so you can carry it around. Losing the base also significantly decreases the weight, making it easier to carry.

Apparently I'm an info-mercial for Milwaukee's newer shop vacs (there's also a 9 gal version but the 6 gal is plenty for me) but it really made me NOT hate shop vacs. Still, you may need to find the attachment of your choice for cars, depending upon carpet or upholstery types.

1715700399698.jpg

Last edited:
I have an ancient ('40s '50s?) Kirby that I use for things like this. Very inexpensive if you can find them on Craigslist. I think mine was $15 at the thrift store. Built like tanks and are still able to be maintained at this age. No bags and can be a little messy to empty, but it gets the job done.

I think this is it:

1715704666761.jpg

I have an ancient ('40s '50s?) Kirby that I use for things like this. Very inexpensive if you can find them on Craigslist. I think mine was $15 at the thrift store. Built like tanks and are still able to be maintained at this age. No bags and can be a little messy to empty, but it gets the job done.

I think this is it:

View attachment 219312
How on earth do you get that into a car to vacuum the seats, carpet, trunk, etc.?

The front detaches so the hose attachment can be put on. I also have a Kirby G6 which has all sort of gadgets for the hose end and they fit the old one.

Not cheap but the most powerful and lots of attachments.

Metro Vac:

While not a carpet lifter, the Modern Classic Dustbuster with Lithium Ion batteries is a vastly improved product. It now has the same good beginning suction for the entire time it takes to vacuum. Even still comes with the crevice tool.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
I use one of the one gallon Shop Vacs. Have a couple of them . One that is the Shop Vac brand, and a Craftsman, bought prior to Sears going belly up.
If I'm not in the mood of going through all the gyrations of hooking one of those up, we have a couple of chains of local car washes that have some excellent vacuums that can be accessed free with the purchase of a wash.

What vacuum are you guys using? I've always used a shop vac it does the job but it's such a pain to get out with the cord and it's rather large.

I have tried stick vacuums and they just choke on gravel bits.
I picked up a Ryobi as I have the batteries for it. It has a pre-filter and a second filter that loads up fairly quickly. Does a good job.

between my milwaukee m12 wet/dry and my dyson cordless i can vacuum both of our vehicles in one go.

I use an electric blower. Open all doors, and blow dust and loose debris out the nearest door. This removes at least 75% of the crud. A couple times a year, I'll unbolt the seats, tilt them back, and do a deeper cleaning using the shop vac.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
I have a Rigid and a Vacmaster. The Rigid is reserved for home use and I don’t like the wide diameter hose when I used it in cars. The Vac Master has a smaller hose which I prefer for vehcile use. However, I don’t like how accessories are easier to slip off the hose of the Vac Master.

I keep the home and the car vacs separated. Necessary, not sure, but I feel the home vacs like the Dyson are not rugged.

So I got this on sale since I already have lots of 20V batteries (although it was $89 last October which was a great price)

I think this is it:

View attachment 219312
We had one of these. Lot-of-Suction

Cheap shop vac + Bissell Little Green Pro Heat + a bottle of concentrated carpet cleaner.

I take the seats and mats out, shop vac them, clean them by hand with the concentrated carpet cleaner (warmed up first), then use Bissell to rinse and vacuum out all the rinse water, air dry for 1 day. Do the same for the interior of the car. Takes 2 day, but then it is literally like new.

You can probably use a household vacuum as well if you are going to use a steam cleaner or wet extraction machine later.

I take the floor mats out and bring them inside the house and vacuum those with a regular upright vacuum cleaner that has a rotating brush. Shop vac for the rest.
Always did that with the Tacoma's carpeted mats. ALways looked brand new afterwards. That beater bar does wonders.

Old (25+ years now, bought new back then) Panasonic upright with detachable hose works for me, has a few attachments for upholstery and for tight narrow spots.

Back