Vacationing alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CARJ
I go at least once a year on a week long road trip/camping trip and love it. I enjoy the quiet solitude. Bonus points are accrued if I can spend the whole week in the desert and not see another sole.

I did a lot of this back when I could. Make your own schedule and enjoy the time. You're more likely to be surprised when everything isn't planned out and negotiated.

I'm in Charlotte, NC for 2 weeks for business and I always do takeout at a good restaurant and then eat at hotel room.

I don't like to eat alone in any restaurant.

I travel for work once every couple months and am almost always travelling solo. Nobody cares that you are by yourself, everyone is too wrapped up in their own world. For eating, I've tried everything (eat at table, eat at bar, eat in hotel room) and find that I prefer eating at the bar. It's not awkward and I find I appreciate getting out some. Sitting in a hotel room for too long gets depressing for me.

I have found that I don't enjoy being in urban areas alone as much as I like being in nature alone.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I took a trip to Italy alone...
My wife still managed to be nasty to me quite a bit about taking that time on my own, too bad as I finally had the time to fulfill a nearly lifelong desire.

I had to comment on this. I get a ton of complaints from my wife whenever I am traveling, even though it's for work. I'm not sure why but it drives me bonkers and has prevented me from ever taking a solo vacation on my own (I'd love to do a solo motorcycle tour). I'd appreciate any advice on managing expectations from a spouse at home when one is traveling.

Been camping by myself multiple times. It's my favorite way of doing it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy bringing my wife along, but solo camping is very therapeutic.

Originally Posted by Leo99

Have you been to Vegas before? Lots of folks go there solo.

And many leave as not so solo...

I've traveled a lot alone on business. Go and enjoy. I hit the antique malls along the highway for old oil stuff and vintage stereo.
Dining has never been a problem, I always eat at the bar, and talk to the server about the local area.

Originally Posted by Bryce
I travel for work once every couple months and am almost always travelling solo. Nobody cares that you are by yourself, everyone is too wrapped up in their own world. For eating, I've tried everything (eat at table, eat at bar, eat in hotel room) and find that I prefer eating at the bar. It's not awkward and I find I appreciate getting out some. Sitting in a hotel room for too long gets depressing for me.

I have found that I don't enjoy being in urban areas alone as much as I like being in nature alone.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I took a trip to Italy alone...
My wife still managed to be nasty to me quite a bit about taking that time on my own, too bad as I finally had the time to fulfill a nearly lifelong desire.

I had to comment on this. I get a ton of complaints from my wife whenever I am traveling, even though it's for work. I'm not sure why but it drives me bonkers and has prevented me from ever taking a solo vacation on my own (I'd love to do a solo motorcycle tour). I'd appreciate any advice on managing expectations from a spouse at home when one is traveling.

My traveling stems from pursuing my hobby. It could be considered a job, because I am compensated by my client for all travel expenses and time spent consulting. I started taking my wife along, and she found she enjoyed it too. She now helps out in another area with the client, and is also compensated for travel expenses and time spent.

My point: Maybe there's a way to take her along on the work related trips so it's a vacation of sorts. Or on the Motorcycle tour.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Dude, being single in Vegas for a few days.....I wish.

I would say the same thing about Atlantic City, or Key West. Some places are better than others when traveling by yourself.

It depends if you are a social type or a quiet type. Social, I would think Vegas. Quiet? Head to the Oregon Coast and relax.

99% of my road trips are alone, and I go on a lot of road trips (normally once a month plus at least 3 trips a year that are more than 3000 miles). Sometimes I don't speak to anybody for days. There are some things that would be awesome to share the experience with somebody else but I love being able to do whatever I want whenever I want and not having to worry about anybody or anything else.

Dining alone felt weird for the first or second time but you'll get used to it where it won't bother you. I'm at the point where I'll walk into a Denny's right after a long hike or a steak house by myself just fine; pull out my phone and check up on the news. The wait staff can really make-it or break-it at this point too as I've had awesome wait staff that will converse with you like a friend because they notice you're alone.

I go at least twice a year by myself for a hunting/camping long weekend . I use to go with other people but they are dead now or to old.

Of course there are other people around, it's a campground not wilderness, but I don't socialize with them so other than a possible grocery run i do not interact with anyone for a few days.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by Schmoe
Dude, being single in Vegas for a few days.....I wish.

I would say the same thing about Atlantic City, or Key West. Some places are better than others when traveling by yourself.

There are tons more "friendly" attractive women in Vegas than AC. Especially at the VP bars after midnight. They often ask me if I want a date or want to party.

Funny story. I was sitting at the VP bar in Palazzo around 7pm while my wife was off playing slots. There was an attractive women sitting two seats away from me. I wasn't really paying much attention to her. There is an open seat between us. My wife comes back to see me and I say to her, "Hey, baby" in a rather sexy way. Well, the other woman thinks I'm talking to her and goes for the open seat next to me just as my wife goes to sit there. Awkwardness ensues. The other woman storms off. Wife is trying to process what just happened. She finally figures it out and we start laughing our butts off.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I absolutely HATE going places alone. It's too lonely and depressing for me. I like to have someone along to share the adventure and fun with.

I felt that way when I was single but now that I'm happily married, I don't feel lonely or depressed while doing things alone.

I once had a slightly older female coworker ask me out to dinner on a business trip, I accepted.

After dinner she wanted to go out for drinks, I accepted. Then asked me if I wanted to stop by her room to 'talk'....

I could see where this was headed and kept it strictly profession work relationship.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by HorseThief
Then again, I have severe agoraphobia ... .

Had to look that up. Curious how you manage when you put yourself in unknown and possibly unsafe situations on road trips?

simple - my car is my safe space, and I have the power to leave any situation or place whenever I want - I'm determined to not be a shut-in. Realizing that is half the battle. Now traffic jams, on the other hand..... I freak out pretty bad.

I did a 10 day vacation last month alone. I'm single. Have been for a long while so I'm used to doing things alone. Had an absolute blast seeing five national parks in a 2018 Mustang GT!!! Got up when I wanted or needed to, ate when and where I wanted, only listened to music that I wanted to, did what I wanted with no dissenting opinions!
*If money allows, I HIGHLY recommend renting a sports car! It was a large part of my great vacation! Just watch your right foot!
19.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I once had a slightly older female coworker ask me out to dinner on a business trip, I accepted.

After dinner she wanted to go out for drinks, I accepted. Then asked me if I wanted to stop by her room to 'talk'....

I could see where this was headed and kept it strictly profession work relationship.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Originally Posted by Kira
To Mr. Nice: Regarding, "...{she}asked me if I wanted to stop by her room to 'talk'...."

Talk about whatever pops up.

01.gif

Funny this thread should come up.

Just last evening I was chatting with my spouse about her insisting on taking a small trip a month for Dec, Jan and Feb (maybe March too).
I told her that I would like to pay off all my line of credit as well as save some extra $$ for when my temp job ends next October, 2019.

As a result she's welcome to go to Arizona again for some sunshine like she did last year for her birthday.
It was nice, she was gone for 3 or 4 days and I stayed home and worked.
We both got to do exactly what we wanted and she had lots of stories and situations to share with me.

Overall, everyone wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back