Vac tube vs. transistor amp. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Thanks for the info gents.

I've decided on a NAD amp and a set of bookshelf speakers.
Which exact model amp and speakers is to be decided, but at least I know I should be happy with my purchase
smile.gif

Did you pick any speakers yet? As I mentioned the Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 would be a good choice on sale at Music Direct for $175- a pair! only go for the 10.1 - not some other model. - Magic in the bottle is hard to come by.

"With every recording I played, the Wharfedale's sounded clean, extended, detailed and pristine. Wharfedale has a winner in the Diamond 10.1. In today's market of stiff competition among affordable loudspeakers, the 10.1 presents extraordinary value for the money, with many strengths that suggest a considerably higher price and no considerable weaknesses!"
- Robert Reina, Stereophile

"...with speakers as willing as these you'll want to crank the volume and feel the music's power. Bass was surprisingly deep, so there's no need to add a subwoofer...I had to stop and remind myself over and over again, this is a $350 speaker; it sounds like double that very reasonable [price]."
- Steve Guttenberg, CNet

"The measured performance of Wharfedale's Diamond 10.1 would be superb even if the speaker did not cost just $350/pair. But then, its designer, Peter Comeau, is one of the UK's senior speaker designers; I would have expected from him no less."
- John Atkinson, Stereophile Editor-in-Chief

"[The 10.1s] flooded my listening room with pure emotional intensity so rich and sumptuous I could cry, I realized the Wharfedales weren't performing only as great jazz speakers, but also as emotional conductors!"
- Stephen Mejias, Stereophile, Recommended Product Review

"Such was our admiration for these Wharfedale bookshelf speakers that we gave them a What Hi-Fi? Product of the Year award...arguably Wharfedale's best budget speaker yet...we are huge fans!"
- What HiFi?, 2010 Product of the Year Award Winner

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Recently my GF and I decided we want to upgrade our stereo system.
It's mainly connected to the home PC to spotify etc.
We also use it to watch movies etc.

I've been researching a couple of options. I like the look and appeal of a tube amp, but I've never owned one nor heard one.
Are they really worth the additional upkeep (replacing tubes every year or two) etc?

The two setups I'm considering are listed below.
Thanks for any info/advice!

Transistor setup

Tube amp setup

Forget the tubes, completely. Dont even give it a thought. Best money spent is a quality amp and high quality speakers, speakers are ALWAYS the key to good sound in a limited budget system. Makes no sense at all, an amplifier takes second place to the speakers, always.

AS a secondary system costing 10, 20, 30 thousand dollars for pure music some might find in a tube set up like that some true musical qualities and happiness.

Room first. If the room is bad, nothing matters - get good phones. Speakers second and electronics is the last. The best acoustics is in Gothic cathedrals, then barns. You want 'gracious echo degradation' or no echo at all. Modern American architecture is horrible: low ceilings, standing waves, etc. Dollar per square inch per hour rules

If you want the best sound possible, Tube mono-blocks. With a separate pre-amp and power supply. But be prepared to bust open the wallet.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
OP is Gone.

No, I'm still here.
Slowly doing my research and weighing my options.

thanks for the info tho, much appreciated!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back