Using Universal CVT fluid for Jatcos

Is universal CVT fluid (Castrol, Valvoline, Amsoil, etc) fine to use in Jatco CVTs?

• Yes, it will perform just as good or better than OEM fluid

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No, OEM fluid is the only fluid you should put in Jatcos

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
I've read some prior threads about universal CVT fluids in Jatcos. Some posters were adamant that you never put anything but OEM fluid in Jatcos because they are very finicky about fluid. A number of other posters said they use Castrol/Valvoline with 100% confidence and have never had a problem and even suggested those fluids are of a higher quality.

I want to do a poll to see what you think.

I have used Valvoline and Castrol CVT fluid in a high mileage ex-Hertz 2015 Altima strippie with excellent results. Got it with 80K and serviced the trans, probably for the 1st time. Dark dark brown... Serviced it again on the next oil change. Now I service it every 25K. 175K on the clock now. Fluid looks much better and trans pulls strong.

This every third OC on my 2012 Suzuki. No cvt issues yet.

1688926267858.jpg

Did Mitsus have Jatcos?
Friend's 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander @ 110K got a pan drop and new filter.
Amalie CVT fluid (Bring back the Amaliestore.com....PLEASE)
The filters are stainless steel beauties and don't need replacement. The filter had caught one small bit of swarf and nothing else.
The old fluid was the color of dark maple syrup.
The vehicle shifted fine for years.

There is nothing wrong with using aftermarket CVT fluid :)

Some people may be afraid of ATF/CVT combo fluids, and some people don't like using red when the original color is different.

The good news is that there are aftermarket CVT fluids in green, such as Cam2 and Transtar. Valvoline and Amalie are amber.

Changing the fluid with aftermarket is better than never changing it at all and trying to go 200k on the original factory fill :D

It is very likely that Idemitsu is the manufacturer of Nissan CVT fluid.

Here in the US …. Made by quite likely it is Idemitsu.

Or it could be Eneos… the biggest oil blender in Japan.

I heard read that Nissan V6s were made in Japan. And that could be possible Eneos makes that cvt fluid over there.

Here in the US …. Made by quite likely it is Idemitsu.

Or it could be Eneos… the biggest oil blender in Japan.

I heard read that Nissan V6s were made in Japan. And that could be possible Eneos makes that cvt fluid over there.
My Max was made in the USA, and the engine was made in Mexico, not sure about the CVT though.

some of us non-OEM due to price. What if the price of OEM is the same as Non-OEM, would you still choose non-OEM(if both are readily available)?
If the answer is Yes, that means there is a perceived advantage in using non-OEM. better shifting? protection?

some of us non-OEM due to price. What if the price of OEM is the same as Non-OEM, would you still choose non-OEM(if both are readily available)?
If the answer is Yes, that means there is a perceived advantage in using non-OEM. better shifting? protection?

I will tell you… there’s No way OEM and other CVT fluids would be the same price..

Nissan CVt fluid was $24-27 a quart and that was 3 years ago.

At that same time frame I was getting Eneos Eco CVt fluid for $12.49 a quart from Napa. And Idemitsu CVT fluid was $11.99 at that time. Castrol CVT fluid was cheaper still at $10.99 a quart.

I'm for putting the proper OEM colored fluid in them if warranty coverage is a concern.

Once out of warranty, use the "suitable for use" fluid of your choice. I've not heard of aftermarket fluids causing issues with them. It seems the ones that had issues were from owners trying to fix an existing CVT problem with a fluid change.

I've run 3 gallons of red dyed Castrol Transmax universal ATF/CVT fluid through the Jatco CVT in our 2019. 91k miles on it. I started the Castrol fluid around 70k miles. I did maintain this CVT with OEM mail order fluid from 25k to 70k.

I own 2 Nissans with Jatco CVT transmissions. I use Amsoil CVT fluid and do a drain and fill about every 25-30k miles.
No issues with either.
157k miles on my Altima
Around 125k miles on the wife's Quest.

Last edited:
Back