Using Purolator Synthetic instead of classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all the stuff going on about the classic and pureone media tearing has made me look at other filters. I was thinking of using the Purolator Synthetic. It is about twice as much as the classic but since I could use it for a longer OCI, in the end it wouldn't be that much of a problem dollar wise. I plan to use Synthetic 5w30 or 0w20 for my 2012 Lancer. It's usually used for 5-10 mile trips at a time. Does that sound like a good plan? Should I run it for the stated 10K OCI? Or should I change the oil at 5K but don't have to change the filter? The Lancers manual states 7500 OCI.

The PS isn't bad, but it does not provide good overall value for the dollar. I'm not a Fram fanboy, but the Ultra provides much better bang for the buck than the PS. Plus, the Ultra can go up to 15k.

Go with the Ultra.

A longer OCI or doubling up on the Purolator Synthetic for two OCI's should be fine.

Just follow your manufacturer's guidelines.

See this thread. The PSL is a good filter, but not substantially different than a Fram Ultra. I like the PSL bypass valve, I like the Ultra price. If you can get it at a comparable price, then do so. Otherwise use an Ultra.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Why continue to reward Purolator with your business?

Is it any different than "rewarding Fram" for the orange can of death by buying an Ultra?

Well, I say that because the Purolators were/are failing.

.... just like OCODs have always been prone to do (maybe a little less so now, but still an all-around poor filter design). The reason I didn't buy a Fram from the mid 1980s until the Ultra came out was because I had an orange can media collapse and pack itself around the center tube, forcing all the oil to go through the bypass valve (which came very close to tearing loose from the fiber end cap and getting pumped down the center tube itself...). Its still built essentially the same way that allowed that to happen. I'll never run an orange can, but I have no problem with the Ultra, and to me the same thinking applies to the Puro Classic vs. the PSL.

Well, I say that because the Purolators were/are failing.

I saw a thread on here recently of an opened Purolator Synthetic and it's made differently than the classic or pureone so that's why I was going that route.

Why are people still buying Purolator filters?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
confused2.gif

I don't know about the others, but I do it just to annoy you.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
confused2.gif

I don't know about the others, but I do it just to annoy you.

crackmeup2.gif
Now that is funny. Plain speaking, love it. Kinda like Merk using/promoting the Wix XP, or saying that just to reach some posters here.
56.gif

PSL is a respectable filter, not up to FU efficiency but not too shabby either. No tears issues and last one posted here looked good.

But as pointed out, if you're not going to run it ~10k miles your not really getting your money's worth and may want to look elsewhere for more value. Unless of course money is no object.

While I am not a Purolator fan, I still religiously buy Purolator made Mopar and Motorcraft filters. If these had tearing issues, that'd be another story.

As for the Purolator synthetic, its a good filter, but you can buy more for less.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
While I am not a Purolator fan, I still religiously buy Purolator made Mopar and Motorcraft filters. If these had tearing issues, that'd be another story.

As for the Purolator synthetic, its a good filter, but you can buy more for less.

But not MUCH more and for not MUCH less. The way I see it if the PSL goes on sale, you get a coupon, whatever- it becomes the better pick. And if they don't have an Ultra in in your application, but they do have a PSL for $2 more... would you really waste a trip looking for an Ultra? Its that close.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

But not MUCH more and for not MUCH less. The way I see it if the PSL goes on sale, you get a coupon, whatever- it becomes the better pick. And if they don't have an Ultra in in your application, but they do have a PSL for $2 more... would you really waste a trip looking for an Ultra? Its that close.

With the everyday price scenario, I would personally look for the TG and if they didn't have that, then I would go to the Ultra. The TG is rated for 10k just like the PSL IIRC plus its about half as much.

I suppose if they had neither for my application, I would get the PSL (only if I had no access to an OEM or MC.
laugh.gif
). Its not saying much about an item when its main "value" would be due to convenience.

If the Lancer is still under warranty and the manual says to change both the oil & oil filter at least every 7500 miles, I'd stick to doing that at least until the warranty expires.

My 2012 Ram manual specifies oil & oil filter change at least every 8000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first, so I'll continue to do that.

I picked up three Purolator Synthetic filters on sale @ KMart in October for $7 each. Along with QSUD from Menard's and PP from Walmart that both have had rebates recently, I'm pretty well set to keep to that schedule.

My local Meijer's has the synthetics on clearance for $4.99. I picked up three, which was all they had in my size. You might look if they are nearby.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

crackmeup2.gif
Now that is funny. Plain speaking, love it. Kinda like Merk using/promoting the Wix XP, or saying that just to reach some posters here.
56.gif

Actually, he "promotes" the XP and puts better filters down to help himself feel better about using a sieve of an oil filter.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back