Using Prestone engine CLEANER on BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to do two treatments (3-6 hours each treatment) of Prestone engine cleaner for two reasons. First is to help ensure my 11 year heater core is cleaned out of gunk. The second reason is to help flush the BMW blue coolant out of the system so the Yellow G-05 will not turn green with blue dye. That would bother me.
smile.gif

Used it on my 92 PREVIA, .

1) Hooked it up to the shop coolant exchange machine and ran 6 gallons+ water through.

2) Added one container. Drove for one week. Fluid turned dark brown.

3) Flushed again using the machine with 6+ gallons of water.

4) IDLED vehicle for 15 minutes. Drained

Used it on my 92 PREVIA, 12 qt system.

1) Hooked it up to the shop coolant exchange machine and ran 6 gallons+ water through.

2) Added one container. Drove for one week. Fluid turned dark brown.

3) Flushed again using the machine with 6+ gallons of water.

4) IDLED vehicle for 15 minutes. Drained the radiator (almost 8 qts).

5) Added 6.5 qt of Prestone All Makes/All Models coolant. Topped up with water.

Coolant remains transparent to this day. However, it still smells awful and I can see some sediment in the surge tank.
confused.gif

Quote:

I plan to do two treatments (3-6 hours each treatment) of Prestone engine cleaner for two reasons. First is to help ensure my 11 year heater core is cleaned out of gunk. The second reason is to help flush the BMW blue coolant out of the system so the Yellow G-05 will not turn green with blue dye. That would bother me.
smile.gif

Why'd you switch to the yellow g-05 coolant from the BMW one? Thanks.

Not sure really, except the cost was 1/2 the BMW blue coolant. So far seems the flush with G-05 works fine in the 100 degree heat. I may not have flushed every bit of the blue out as there may be a slight bluish tint in the yellow G-O5. Even then it is very slight. I also change every two years or so.

I don't se why not, though Id likely rather go for an MB citric acid flush performed properly. heck, for $90, Id likely take the BMW to the MB dealer to do it. Theyll fill it up with G-05 afterwards (though its in a bottle with an MB star on it).

Ive been doing the change from BMW blue to G-05, and it takes forever to get it to yellow/orange. Dont think that this product will really fix you to yellow.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back