Using Out-of-Spec Oil for Temp Engine Flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Me,personally,I`d never ever ever ever put anything but oil in my engine. No cleaners,additives,no [censored],no nothing.........but motor oil. Just do religious oil changes and she`ll clean right up!

Agreed. Even though my car had low miles when I first put the ACD in it, the first couple times I changed it, it went dark very quickly. Now it stays almost new looking for the entire interval. The valvetrain looks brand new at 74K. I don't think flushes and cleaners are necessary with good maintenence with a quality oil.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Forget the kerosene,take the 20-50 back and exchange it for some PP in 5-20. The PP will do some cleaning and won't break your crank when you start it.
Why would the crank break?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Forget the kerosene,take the 20-50 back and exchange it for some PP in 5-20. The PP will do some cleaning and won't break your crank when you start it.
Why would the crank break?
The extreme weight of the oil and the concomitant resistance on start up will cause the crank to break........Or,.............I was Joking.

I'd use the 20w50 syn. mixed with 5w20 in summer at an approx. 1 to 5 ratio till its gone. You will thicken the 5w20 to an approx. 7.5w25 mix which is fine in summer. If your bent on flushing then the 20w50 and MMO mix would be the way to go IMO.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
I guess I've never heard of someone doing an engine flush just because he was bored
21.gif

Ahhh, such is my life. The problem is I "think too much." Constantly ruminating on the "best" way to clean the engine. People have debated this for years, and I guess I am in the midst of my own internal debate. Problem is that there are so many "experts" online, I'm [censored] if I do and [censored] if I don't -- if you know what I mean.

It all comes down to me being a compulsive "bargain" shopper. I see this oil that is regularly like $9/qt for $1/qt and buy it all up. Now I want to put it to some good use.

I will try to report back on my "kerosene cleanse" after I do it. I will wait 5 or 10k miles to see if it made any difference pro, con, or negligible.

Thanks again for all your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back