using older oils without the api donut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
If I recall, wasn't the MX line some fairly dated specifications? Maybe that's why they didn't bother.

You say that like its a bad thing?

Well, I guess whether it's good or bad depends upon one's perspective. But, if the specifications are very dated, there's no point, or perhaps even no way, to actually obtain them. Trying to put SE on an API Donut these days might get someone's hackles up at the API, or trying to call them to arrange licensing for such an oil might result in getting laughed at, considering the spec is obsolete.
wink.gif
Of course, that doesn't stop a trusted company from making such a product, and doing so correctly.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Fair enough. I suppose that's what I'm doing with the Delvac MX, (though with less info) but it seems to have disappeared from the shelves now so I'll have to find something else.

Pity. It was a good price (for here)too.

I noticed the other day they changed the name of it to MX F2 but I wonder if it changed at all. Maybe your supplier is waiting for the new stuff to come in?

https://mobildelvac.com/en/engine-oils/mobil-delvac/mobil-delvac-mx-f2

Originally Posted By: Rendezvous
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Fair enough. I suppose that's what I'm doing with the Delvac MX, (though with less info) but it seems to have disappeared from the shelves now so I'll have to find something else.

Pity. It was a good price (for here)too.

I noticed the other day they changed the name of it to MX F2 but I wonder if it changed at all. Maybe your supplier is waiting for the new stuff to come in?

https://mobildelvac.com/en/engine-oils/mobil-delvac/mobil-delvac-mx-f2

Hmm...Don't like that much. Wonder if they cut the zinc (though I only had a rather indirect source for that anyway. No reply to enquiries.)

Don't like "Reduced oil consumption and wear protection" (my emphasis) much either.

They probably don't mean it, but you might hope they'd be either more careful or less illiterate.

Last edited:
None of our oils in Australia carry the API symbol.

They just have a specification list on the rear of the bottle.

They all do that here Castrol, Shell, Valvoline, Mobil.

BTW we still get Delvac MX 15W40 here, it's API CI-4/SL, E7 + many OEM's. A mate runs it in his WRX with the boost turned up to 21 psi.

Some equivalents would be Castrol RX Super or Shell Rimula R4-X.

The Donut just means ENERGY CONSERVING Oils. To enhance fuel economy. Meaning That's car oils with special friction modifiers on it not recommended to use in wet clutch bikes, for example.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
The Donut just means ENERGY CONSERVING Oils. To enhance fuel economy. Meaning That's car oils with special friction modifiers on it not recommended to use in wet clutch bikes, for example.

Think that only applies if it says “ R e s o u r c e C o n s e r v i n g ” o r “ E n e r g y C o n s e r v i n g ” in the lower sector of the doughnut.

If it doesn't, it doesn't

Possibly "starburst" would be better in the title, since I believe that's the API certification mark.

Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini

No, it doesn't. Motorcycle oils and HDEOs and monogrades here can and often do have the API Donut. The Starburst is the symbol designating ILSAC compliance and is on the front of the bottle, with the words "Resource Conserving" in the bottom of the Donut, which is on the reverse of the label. Check my API labeling picture thread here for numerous examples. For a Starburst, you're going to have to have an ILSAC rating, and be an ILSAC grade. You can have SN SAE 50 monograde and no friction modifiers with a Donut, but it can't have a Starburst. There were some ILSAC 40 options many years back when the minimum HTHS of the grade was ridiculously low, but that option is long gone.

SR5: That's not surprising, but it is a little unfortunate that they don't use the Donut there. Obviously, the number of people looking for SN or SN/GF-5 oils down under isn't anywhere near what it is in North America and neither the Starburst nor the Donut have a lot of recognition or familiarity there, but it is a very good way to denote compliance, for those who look at such things.

Then again, trademark law is a funny thing, and a bit of a mess, and the Donut and Starburst marking are trademarks. Perhaps there's more to it than me simply dismissing them as "no one would know what they are, anyhow."

Yes, I ate on that one!

There are some donuts without the energy conserving phrase on it, totally forgot. Its API. The starburst compliance is dependant to date of its manufacture. I have a 2001 oil with starburst and the thing is API SJ. The bike oil donut doesn't have Energy Conserving phrase on it.

Last edited:
My memory may be faulty, but I believe that bit of potential confusion was why the Starburst was invented in the first place. An appropriate HDEO can suitably display the Donut, but that Starburst is another matter, which is what most gasoline powered vehicle owners should be looking for over the past many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back