Using in-radiator trans cooler for power steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If relocation and insulation weren't sufficient, I'd use a separate, thermostatically controlled unit from the likes of Mocal. Not overly expensive, and guaranteed to do the job

I use a small tube and fin Hayden year around on my Gen Coupe. I also used one year around on my Taurus SHO with no problems. I do use synthetic PS fluid. Amsoil ATF for the Ford and Pentosin CHF202, semi synthetic for the Hyundai.

Gen Coupe would get near 200F when pushed hard on the track before the cooler. I dropped to 175F with the cooler.

I use a small tube and fin Hayden year around on my Gen Coupe. I also used one year around on my Taurus SHO with no problems. I do use synthetic PS fluid. Amsoil ATF for the Ford and Pentosin CHF202, semi synthetic for the Hyundai.

Gen Coupe would get near 200F when pushed hard on the track before the cooler. I dropped to 175F with the cooler.

Originally Posted By: 29662
Given what on track coolant temps could reach, I vote for an external heat exchanger ahead of the radiator.

+1

A good, multi-row stacked plate cooler (Setrab, Mocal, Earls, B&M, Fluidyne, etc.) mounted in the airflow somewhere should do the trick, and YES, some Red Line or such power steering fluid.

Do the Holdens use the same power steering pump as the US market LSx cars??
21.gif

I ask because most 4th gen LS1 f body drivers who open track/road race their cars (oft times with VERY large/sticky 315/30-17 Hoosier R6 gumballs, or stickier, at ALL FOUR CORNERS!!) have solved their pump reservoir boil over problems with what I've suggested above.
wink.gif

But I have NEVER heard of anyone actually melting their reservoirs!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: undertow
Difficult to get a shield in there, but I could wrap the exposed parts of the rack with reflective wrap (thermotec or similar). This would reduce the radiative heat, but it's still gonna be hot down there.

I've decided to just play it safe and grab a small tube and fin trans cooler (Hayden 401). Cheap and effective and resistant to stone hits. If overcooling in winter is a problem I can just stick a bit of cardboard between the AC condensor and the PS cooler.

Thanks for all the informative replies!

Maybe you could fit a transmission cooler thermostat into the power steering cooler lines.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
undertow,

If your temps don't come down to reasonable levels, you might want to use this fluid.

Redline 10 cSt ATF

JHZR2 suggested an alternative fluid in an earlier post.

Cheers, that would work well. I can find Redline D4 locally, but not the high temp stuff. Recommended fluid is Dex III, I'm running Valvoline Maxlife ATF at the moment. I think I'll be ok with the tube and fin cooler and some thermotec wrap on the rack though. What's the ideal fluid temp for PS systems? I would guess 50-70C or so, but that's just a guess.

@dailydriver The pump is a Saginaw N pump, same guts as the old Saginaw teardrop pumps but with an external res. The stacked plate coolers are meant to be a bit more efficient, but the tube and fin type look like they'd be more resistant to stone hits.

A thermostat would be nice, but I don't like adding extra stuff to potentially go wrong/leak if I can avoid it. The OEM oil thermostats are often PLASTIC! urgh.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back