Using good saddle soap to clean & soften leather seats

I use a quality USA made saddle soap, Fiebing's of Milwaukee, to clean my leather seats annually. Every two years I apply Meguiar's Gold Class leather conditioner after cleaning. The seats in the 14 year old Infiniti look almost new. It helps that the car is nearly always garaged to protect it from the sun.

The web site www.autos.com advises against using saddle soap because it contains acid and other caustic ingredients that will dry out leather and make it crack. Maybe they mean Chinese saddle soap? What do y'all think?

Last edited:
Your question intrigued me as a chemist so I did some quick reading on Google. Saddle soap can be highly alkaline (pH >10) and thus cause leather to degrade and crack. Better saddle soap products may contain mink oil, beeswax and lanolin. Fiebing's is apparently rich in lanolin so you may be using a very good product. I think your followup with a leather conditioner is a good step. This may alleviate any issues from the saddle soap. But in any case, do not change to a cheap saddle soap or you find the consequences (darkening and cracking) not to your liking.

Unless one has an ultra-luxury automobile, an old classic, or had seats reupholstered the leather is top-coated with urethane. Consequently something like 303 Protectant with an occasional wipe with distilled water works really well. Saddle soap is unlikely to do much.

Supposedly leather is clear coated therefore your only able to clean the seats. So how can saddle soap condition leather with a clear coat barrier .

I use a quality USA made saddle soap, Fiebing's of Milwaukee, to clean my leather seats annually. Every two years I apply Meguiar's Gold Class leather conditioner after cleaning. The seats in the 14 year old Infiniti look almost new. It helps that the car is nearly always garaged to protect it from the sun.

The web site www.autos.com advises against using saddle soap because it contains acid and other ingredients that will dry out leather and make it crack. Maybe they mean Chinese saddle soap? What do y'all think?
I've used saddle soap on my tack, but would not use it on automotive leather as it is tanned differently also saddle soap is a cleaner NOT a nourisher which must be applied on the flesh side of the leather, this is not possible on car seats. Get a good quality automotive leather cleaner and you'll be OK.

Genuine car leather "breathes" on a microscopic level. That's why you don't sweat on leather like you do on vinyl. The conditioner definitely reaches and nourishes the leather. That's why you see 1-2 year old car leather that's totally falling apart, because its was never maintained.

Use a dedicated car leather product. Don't use a generic type "protectant" on your leather, as it can deteriorate the stitching. You have to consider the stitching as well as the leather itself.

Automotive leather is different from what is used on saddles both in quality, thickness and finishing. I'm no expert but would use something specifically meant for automotive use on anything nice. You wouldn't use a gallon of house paint to refinish your car.
Automotive leathers are almost exclusively coated. Most leather cleaners/conditions/oils will ruin the coating.

Your question intrigued me as a chemist so I did some quick reading on Google. Saddle soap can be highly alkaline (pH >10) and thus cause leather to degrade and crack. Better saddle soap products may contain mink oil, beeswax and lanolin. Fiebing's is apparently rich in lanolin so you may be using a very good product. I think your followup with a leather conditioner is a good step. This may alleviate any issues from the saddle soap. But in any case, do not change to a cheap saddle soap or you find the consequences (darkening and cracking) not to your liking.
Isn't all "real" soap alkaline? To make "real" soap as opposed to a detergent, you react a fat with an alkaline liquid, if my high school chemistry is correct.

The only two "every day" vehicles that I have come across with un-coated, aniline leather is the King Ranch saddle leather and the Audi TT " baseball glove" interior.

Most automotive leather is coated. There is no conditioning it. You clean it and move on. You can dress it, but not condition it. In fact conditioners may soak into the stitching and cause it to deteriorate.

The damaged OEM leather you see is typically from getting it wet.

It is a good idea to find out exactly what kind of leather you are dealing with. Todays coated leather seats are not maintained the same way as the older leather. Check your manual.

Thanks, everyone for all of the recommendations regarding leather care of today's automotive seats. My approach was too "old school." My Infiniti owners manual does say a mild leather cleaner can be used, while my Acura owners manual states nothing about leather seat care. Some of the newer Acura models supposedly come with Milano leather (Italian).

Last edited:
Gimpy, you are right about soap and alkaline manufacture. However some soaps are poorly made and are more alkaline than they need to be.

Back