Using duct tape on packages

I couldn't find my usual clear packaging tape since my kid is always playing around with it. So I just grabbed what I could find, which was cheap dollar store duct tape. It didn't tear very well and part of it just tore lengthwise, so I just placed it on and then tried cleaning it up with scissor cut tape.

This was going through a USPS parcel return service and I heard some claim that they'll reject packages sealed with duct tape. I didn't have any problem at this post office, but there are reports of some postal workers rejecting duct tape (even though there isn't any specific recommendation for or against). They definitely say no masking tape, string, twine, etc, but don't mention duct tape. I've heard some claims that it doesn't stick to cardboard and it has a tendency to come off and gum up processing equipment.

Anyone have a package rejected because of duct tape? Maybe from one of the package delivery services? Maybe return at an Amazon facility that would then need to ship it?

I was in shipping and receiving. Just as there are specs for oil, I'm sure there is a USPS spec for packing tape. Used around the house duck tape doesnt stick to cardboard. Why would you even try to send something iffy through the mail or Fedex, etc? People complain how bad package shipping is all the time. I bought a case of brand X packing tape at a yd sale 15 yrs ago. I ship stuff that is mummified in tape. Between that and using legible printing on the slip and the box. People I ship pkgs to get them. If the pg was damaged in shipping, the contents survived. :cool:

Back