Using 8 year old Aeroshell 2 cycle oil...or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted on here years ago when I bought a case of Aeroshell's then new Sport Plus 2 aviation two-stroke oil. It was developed with Rotax for use in ultralight and light aircraft with 2-cylce engines. I used it in all my 2 stroke equipment for years. My Lawnboy mowers smoked at 32:1, so I settled on 40:1 and that's what everything got. Can't really give any good info on it as I never tore down or did any inspection of anything, but I can say I saw no problems associated with using it.
I bought the oil 8 years ago and I have a few quarts of it left.
DO YOU THINK ITS STILL OK TO USE THIS OIL?
I last mixed up a batch of fuel with this oil at the beginning of spring and I used it and it seemed fine.
I don't know how to read the production code, but the best I can decipher, it may have been made 10 years ago in 2009!
It still LOOKED the same a few months ago as it did the first time I used it 8 years ago, and it is all from the same case.
The bottles have a foil seal on the bottle, under the lid.
I got on a canned Small Engine Fuel kick (SEF, VP SEF) both straight and premix a few years ago, so I only used the Aeroshell rarely for a few years, so the bottle of Aeroshell I used this spring was opened at least a year prior. It seemed to be good when I poured it and when it was being used in equipment, but, how do you know?
Should I use this oil? And if not can someone explain to me how oil goes bad inside a HDPE bottle with a foil seal? Go easy, I am an amateur.

I am just about done using a 1 litre bottle of 2 stroke oil I bought around 2008. I run it in my OPE and recently in my vintage sleds. Still works good!

Correction: Its AeroShell not Aeroshell.
...and a quick look on the internet and now I'm not sure this oil is still available in the US, or the World as far as that goes. Anyone know anything about this oil? If its not going to be available in the future, then I want to switch over to something else.

It wouldn't surprise me if this oil is the same as the Quaker State air-cooled 2-cycle oil that is so popular with the ultralight crowd. There were several tests conducted by independent groups back many years ago in which Pennzoil air-cooled 2-cycle oil came out the winner. Shell (parent company of Pennzoil/Quaker State) chose to relabel the Pennzoil 2-cycle oil to Quaker State. Shell may have packaged this product under their AeroShell product line for specific marketing to the aviation hobbyist crowd.

Either way, unless you notice any type of agglomeration with the product then it should be fine to use. I have some 2-cycle oils on my shelves that is 10+ years old and when I mix a tank it has never caused any problem. My only complaint with the Quaker State is that is doesn't have a particularly enjoyable smell. I add a few drops of Blendzall racing castor just to give my OPE the sweet smell of victory
smile.gif

I bought a case of outboard motor oil around 1990 but stopped using the motor soon after. I'm slowly going through this oil as I use it in my chainsaw every year without problem.

You should be totally fine using it. There are people still using up their supplies of Lawn Boy oil in the tin cans which probably be around the same vintage.

L8R,
Matt

Heh Heh, My qt of Valvoline Multi-purpose will run out sometime this summer, its 3 yrs old. My best LB came with 4 cans of LB oil. IIRC its a '95. Mixed at 32:1 just about ANY 2stroke oil is safe to use in any application.. Antique engines with bushings may require 16:1. Meantime, keep the discussions going about which does what, I'm gonna go make popcorn
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Antique engines with bushings may require 16:1. Meantime, keep the discussions going about which does what, I'm gonna go make popcorn
grin2.gif

Modern 2stroke oils in 1:32 are more then enough in these circumstances...

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
There are people still using up their supplies of Lawn Boy oil in the tin cans which probably be around the same vintage.

I still have some!!!!

Any oil designed for Rotax aircraft engines will be GOOD stuff.... Use it with confidence!!

Late answer but 8 years is nothing to oil. I'm working my way through a bunch of yamalube from the early 90s and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back