New Aeroshell 2 stroke oil in weedeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think about me using the new Aeroshell Sport Plus 2 oil that is inteded for Rotax ultralight airplane engines in my weedeater, chain saws and 2 stroke lawn mower?

It is the same product as the Pennzoil Air Cooled 2-cycle oil which has been so popular with the ultralight group. Since Shell is big in aviation they decided to package the product with the Shell label. Should work just fine in you weedeater, chain saws, and 2-stroke mower.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
It is the same product as the Pennzoil Air Cooled 2-cycle oil which has been so popular with the ultralight group. Since Shell is big in aviation they decided to package the product with the Shell label. Should work just fine in you weedeater, chain saws, and 2-stroke mower.

Good to know. Thanks for that Johnny!

Thanks for the valuable info Johnny, Please see my post about Pennzoil "air cooled" oil here.

Is the "air cooled" oil identical to the New Aeroshell oil?

I guess I'm gonna source the Sport Plus 2 online for all my future needs. Do you think it is an appropriate oil for lawn equipment?

It would be a very good oil for lawn equipment. If you have a Menards in your area they sell a Quaker State air cooled oil that is the same product as the Pennzoil air cooled product, the small bottle stuff.

Johnny, after purchasing a used poulan chainsaw on ebay with low compression I find it wouldn't start at 40:1 pennz AC.After mixing at 16:1 the saw has more compression and run great.I like the oily residue at the exhaust port.The engine is getting the oil it needs and has much more power that the highly regarded poulan 'wildthing'/

Today I mixed Pennzoil multipurpose at 50:1 for the bolens trimmer and I was pleased at how easy it was to start and the high power level.Much better than the echo powerblend at 50:1. The local TARGET store sell the pennz. MP for $3.49/qt.- a good deal.I will try the new aeroshell asap.

Originally Posted By: Johnny

I found this while researching this oil. No offense intended toward Johnny whatsoever....
"I called and then sent an email to Shell regarding AeroShell Oil Sport PLUS 2. Just received a telephone call from Mr. Paul Royko, Technical Manager for Piston Engine Oils, Shell Aviation, who OKed me sharing my notes of our conversation.

1. New formulation, not Pennzoil Air Cooled.
2. Mineral oil, not synthetic.
3. Tested at Lockwood Aviation in Flordia.
4. Superior test results to Pennzoil Air Cooled which is considered the standard to which other oils are compared.
5. Can be mixed with remaining Pennzoil Air Cooled in Oil Injection tank.
6. No, he could not provide discount coupon codes for first time buyers.

My supply of Pennzoil Air Cooled is low. I plan to order a case of AeroShell Oil Sport PLUS 2 in the next week or so.

Smooth landings,
Joel "
Found at ppcflyingforums.org

And this

"Just got off the horn with Phil Lockwood of Lockwood Aviation today about Shell's announcement, which kicks off at the Sebring LSA Expo next week, about its newest lubricant, AeroShell Oil Sport PLUS 2.
Phil is the go-to guy for anything Rotax. He built his company from scratch into the Mecca for engines, parts, service, maintenance, training and a lot more. He also produces the AirCam and Drifter sport aircraft, sells LSA and I could go on for pages. Super guy too.
Anyway, here's Phil's take on this new 2-stroke engine oil:
"It's actually a big deal for people who use 2-strokes -- that's about 10,000 aircraft. We used Pennzoil, (now owned by Shell), before that, but the formulation constantly changed due to chemicals in it becoming unavailable."
One problem was severe carbon packing around high performance rings, requiring regular decarbonizing.
"When Pennzoil came up with a formula in the '90s that allowed us to go to TBO without decarbonizing, that was a big deal. But that formula eventually wasn't producible either."
Recently, Shell came to Lockwood to test the new formulation -- PLUS 2 -- on five new Rotax 582 engines.
"We ran them for 300 hours, picked the best one, did a 50 hour flight-test, tore down the engines and signed off on the formula."
"Shell told us they'd guarantee it will be a constant formula from now on."
That's real good news for all those Kitfoxes, Quicksilvers, Drifters and other ultralight and experimental planes that run Rotax two-strokes such as the 447, 503, 582 engines and discontinued models (parts still available) 277, 377, 532 and 618.
Phil signed off with an eye toward a resurgent ultralight market.
"We all started with ultralights in the late '70s and early '80s and saw them evolve into LSA, and the ultralight market disappeared."
"Now, prices of many LSA are out of reach to a whole new generation of would-be pilots who would love ultralights, but don't know much about them."
"I can see a return to ultralights, including electric-powered models like the E-Spyder. Think about it: No video game or outdoor sports vehicle comes close to giving the pleasure of flying through the air."

From Light Sport Hanger Flyin'

Shell has a pretty unique niche in this market. I always liked the Advance line of lubricants for my bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back