used wood floor

Status
Not open for further replies.
wish I had some pics of an amazing wood floor we serviced this week for a wealthy client in Clearwater. They took the floor from an old building in Chicago and shipped it all down here to a warehouse where their contractor lightly sanded and refinished most of it there and then installed it in the home! After it was touched up a bit we were called in to clean it prior to their moving in.

Absolutely the most stunning floor I have ever seen. Heavily textured, really varied appearance. I want some!

Alas, the leftovers were already spoken for...

My house was built between 1929 and 31 and has 3/4" thick 2.5" wide hardwoods in every room with hardwood door and window frames, thankfully none had been painted just varnished which we stripped and refinished.
Today this stuff would cost a fortune.

The 1928 family house has quarter- sawn oak throughout the main floor. Many many years ago when we had the floors refinished the workers were very impressed by the beauty of it. This is a typical middle class home too.

Besides the floor the moldings , casings and doors are all mahogany. This includes the crown molding. A lot of it was painted but over the years the paint was removed to restore the beauty of the wood.

Good to hear the wood floors were repurposed rather than going to the dump.

Right after I bought the house back in '78, I happened into a few hundred board feet of of rough cut white oak. I used it as a rough attic floor after I had it ship lapped. In '02 I had it laid in the front room and ell. Some of the boards are 12". The windows in the big room are trimmed out in white oak I rescued from a school being remodeled. I also saved 2 pickup loads of random width knotty pine boards that were used for the walls of the ell and were milled into window casings. Old growth wood is vastly superior to anything sold today. Old mill timbers are band sawn into high priced flooring. Scuba divers salvage sunken logs that sank as logs were rafted to the mills at the edge of the North woods. Cedar trees are mined out of bogs in Jersey.Some date back to the end of the glacial era.

Originally Posted By: Trav
My house was built between 1929 and 31 and has 3/4" thick 2.5" wide hardwoods in every room with hardwood door and window frames, thankfully none had been painted just varnished which we stripped and refinished.

Perfect. Now the next millennial's owner will see that some old people must have lived in the home and that it is in desperate need of "updating". They will purchase a few cans of cheap white spray paint from a big box discount store and fix all of your hardwoods so it will be all white and pretty; just like in the magazine pictures that show how a nice home show should look.

They just do not comprehend that the reason the new houses have the all white trim is because it is covering the cheapest pine, pressed sawdust or even plastic made to look like wood trim. I see this happening all the time now. I'd almost rather they just pull it all out and burn it in their fireplace.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cressida

Perfect. Now the next millennial's owner will see that some old people must have lived in the home and that it is in desperate need of "updating". They will purchase a few cans of cheap white spray paint from a big box discount store and fix all of your hardwoods so it will be all white and pretty; just like in the magazine pictures that show how a nice home show should look.

They just do not comprehend that the reason the new houses have the all white trim is because it is covering the cheapest pine, pressed sawdust or even plastic made to look like wood trim. I see this happening all the time now. I'd almost rather they just pull it all out and burn it in their fireplace.
I couldn't believe that MDF base and trim builders started to use. Pure junk.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I couldn't believe that MDF base and trim builders started to use. Pure junk. [/quote]

We recently had to pay to have a contractor put new wood base in a home with the cheap fake wood stuff. When we cleaned their tile floors the base swelled up from contact with water.

I was completely surprised as I always thought "wet" areas were never trimmed in a product that cannot stand moisture!

Wow! Sounds beautiful!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The 1928 family house has quarter- sawn oak throughout the main floor. Many many years ago when we had the floors refinished the workers were very impressed by the beauty of it. This is a typical middle class home too.

Besides the floor the moldings , casings and doors are all mahogany. This includes the crown molding. A lot of it was painted but over the years the paint was removed to restore the beauty of the wood.

Your trim sound beautiful to me, I wonder what it would cost to spec that today?

Originally Posted By: andyd
Right after I bought the house back in '78, I happened into a few hundred board feet of of rough cut white oak. I used it as a rough attic floor after I had it ship lapped. In '02 I had it laid in the front room and ell. Some of the boards are 12". The windows in the big room are trimmed out in white oak I rescued from a school being remodeled. I also saved 2 pickup loads of random width knotty pine boards that were used for the walls of the ell and were milled into window casings. Old growth wood is vastly superior to anything sold today. Old mill timbers are band sawn into high priced flooring. Scuba divers salvage sunken logs that sank as logs were rafted to the mills at the edge of the North woods. Cedar trees are mined out of bogs in Jersey.Some date back to the end of the glacial era.

Yeah, we don't see much of that here in sunny Fl. Even though our biz is marketed primarily to the upper crust folks we see very few handsome older homes anymore. But I did recently help an older gal in St. Pete with a stunning mosaic tile floor from the 20's.

Originally Posted By: Cressida

Sad but true. I bought my 1920's solid red oak desk, cherry end tables and maple dining room table all at auction for a good price and had them redone in the original finishes. All in and done they were much less than a mid size solid wood table from Ethan Allen.
I love the hardwoods and earth tones, slate roof and real wood and brick construction.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Your trim sound beautiful to me, I wonder what it would cost to spec that today?

I couldn’t even begin to comprehend it. I’ve heard that mahogany , depending on its source, is not like it was way back then. Some wood in the big box stores might be labeled as mahogany but it is not the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back