Used Motor Oil Extends Auto Life

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 80's an older retired guy told my friend that he must use USED motor oil to oil down his auto body to prevent rust. Some of us contend that our car's useful auto life ends before the engine quits means that extending engine life is to no avail. Use that old motor oil and prevent rust.
I wonder if that used motor oil had thinned out so much that it could get in the nooks and crannies. He said you had to use used!

Anyone else know about this?

confused.gif

DRUGS ARE BAD... m'kay. lol

no i remember hearing about that.. ol wives tale. imagine how the car would smell.. and now car dont rust apart like they did in the 70-80's. I remember the 80's hondas and toyotas they rusted like the plague!!

Well, I knew someone who used some kind of "oil coating" as undercoating. I never asked him what exacly it was, but it was home-brewed and looked almost like asphalt or tar. I doubt that it was only used motor oil.
tongue.gif
Though, it seemed to work for him, since he never had any rust problem.

If I were to live in a harsh climate with wet winters and road salt, I'd be inclined to apply a fresh and thick layer of cosmolene as undercoating before every winter.

All that said, I did use raw linseed oil on my old Chevy Celebrity rust bucket to slow down further rusting of the floor. Not sure if it worked. One day, my girlfriend started braking with her sneakers in that car...
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

Addendum: Audi rust prevention!

Any Audi with the V6 engine will sooner or later coat the undercarriage with oil (Leaky valley pan is common). Some Audi owners say it's a feature, not a bug.
wink.gif

When I used to live in the sticks the old rednex used to paint their cabins with used motor oil....kept the carpenter ants at bay...old guys kept dieing of cancer.

quote:

When I used to live in the sticks the old rednex used to paint their cabins with used motor oil....kept the carpenter ants at bay...old guys kept dieing of cancer.

Why were ants living in those pickup trucks?
lol.gif

I cant imagine that it would be a very good idea, because while in theory it would keep water from atacking metal surfaces, if it was on the outside of a car it would also allow lots of dirt to stick everyuwhere, moreso than if the car was clean.

I can see perhaps an inside area might be 'saved' by this method, but Id be wary about doing it on outside or underside surfaces.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by cangreylegend:
In the 80's an older retired guy told my friend that he must use USED motor oil to oil down his auto body to prevent rust.

Of coarse his car body outlasted him as he died of cancer from touching all that used motor oil. What a goof ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back