Used Fuel Filter - store/reuse later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't. Just don't do it.

I know someone reading this will have the compulsion, the irresistible urge to ask "Why?"

Please don't ask, because I can't tell you. So let's not even go there.

Now that the ground rules are in place, let's suppose.

Let's suppose that a fellow, "a quick fellow" removes a fuel filter from his automobile thinking that this fuel filter might be causing him some motoring problems. What he discovers is that the fuel filter isn't the problem. Matter o' fact, the problem is located elsewhere in the motor and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the fuel filter.

Now a new filter is in place where the old one used to live and it might as well live there doing it's filtering thing until it has filtered fuel and can filter no more.

But this fellow, this "quick fellow" has an almost new, perfectly good filter in hand now that apparently still has some filtering left to do. He doesn't want to throw it away, but a future filter change is far in the future. So now he is curious, can he keep said filter and use it at a future date? If he were to take said filter and store it away securely in say, a zip-lock baggie and put it in safe place, maybe inside a coffee can with a tight lid, just how long can said used filter sit before it goes back where it belongs?

Yes, I know they're not that expensive. I know they're easy to find and easy to use. I know it's just another thing in my junk box, . . . I mean, this fellow's junk box. He's just curious how long it can stay there before it does indeed become junk.

And he doesn't want to explain why he wants to do this.

If it comes with nylon quick releases they can come in handy, like to adapt to your car to "siphon" gas off in an emergency by jumpering the relay to pump it out.

I'd actually leave it out in the open so the gas would evaporate off. IDK what sort of goo would remain in the paper with the ethanol, and never use it for a filter again.

A subaru for instance which has an easy to replace fuel filter, gets replaced every 75 months or 75000 miles. I do not know which vehicle you have, but lets assume they are the same.

So, if u wish to place said filter in a baggie, inside a coffee can, under the basement floor for safe keeping...by all means sir do it.

In 75 months, if you even remember where you hid it..dig it up and inspect. If you smell varnish or whatever ethanol turns into after sitting for that period of time then go from there.

For what its worth...my father has saved his spark plugs and worn belts from most cars he has ever owned..just in case another vehicle might benefit at a later date..so you are not alone sir.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

For what its worth...my father has saved his spark plugs and worn belts from most cars he has ever owned..just in case another vehicle might benefit at a later date..so you are not alone sir.

Truth be told, I do the same thing and take it one step further. There's a little mom and pop repair shop around the corner from where I live. If I'm in the mood, I'll walk over there and rummage through their dumpster behind the shop, (always careful not to make a mess). I get belts, hoses, spark plugs, air filters, hose clamps, the list goes on and on.

I think your Dad and I would get along just fine
smile.gif

My grandfather would get upset when I would change my oil so frequently back in the day (3k). He would ask for my old oil to put in his truck.

But, I would check the price at rockauto. If it costs 5 bucks or less I would for sure throw it away.

I've stored old spark plugs, they get rusty on the threads unlike new ones.

There are lots of apps for 14mm, 3/4" reach even if they aren't exactly perfect. Like "chonda" OPE.

I still have a few belts from cars that I no longer own. Who knows when an old filter will be needed, I mean maybe you will need to filter some gas.... yeah, I have problems as well
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I've stored old spark plugs, they get rusty on the threads unlike new ones.

There are lots of apps for 14mm, 3/4" reach even if they aren't exactly perfect. Like "chonda" OPE.
Heh heh, I have a few that I replaced and kept for my BMWs. I replaced one after 100 k miles that wasn't any more restricted than the new one. Between EPA specs for the tanks and what have you, gas is pretty clean.

I was wondering what to use for a new plug for my chonda. It starts easily,so I'm in no hurry
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back