Used compact SUV search - input wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2004 Escape 3.0 4x4 auto trans has 81,000 now. Zero issues since I bought it with 34,000.
I get 19-20 around town and 23-24 hgwy.
This is hands down the best overall car I have owned, it still drives just like when I bought it.
My only complaint is rust starting around one wheelwell but that is after 8 hard MI winters(It was made in sept. 03) and easily fixed.

I'm going to check out the '05 Escape Hybrid tomorrow morning. Its a couple hours away at a Honda dealer, so I hope the description is accurate and not a waste of my time. If it appears to have no issues and test drives good, pretty sure I'll pick it up. High miles, but loaded, and I'm not afraid of high mile used cars that were properly maintained.

*crossing fingers*

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I'm going to check out the '05 Escape Hybrid tomorrow morning. Its a couple hours away at a Honda dealer, so I hope the description is accurate and not a waste of my time.
*crossing fingers*

Did you call and get a salesman's name and confirmation? Would hate for the car to be a gimmick to get you in there.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Did you call and get a salesman's name and confirmation? Would hate for the car to be a gimmick to get you in there.

Yeah, was a bit worried about that, but called yesterday and he went and looked over the vehicle, then called me back answering a few Q's. Called right now and told him to call me if, by chance, it sells tonight so I don't waste a drive tomorrow. He said someone was going to look at it tonight - but that could always be a rouse - and would let me know if it gets sold.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I'm going to check out the '05 Escape Hybrid tomorrow morning. Its a couple hours away at a Honda dealer, so I hope the description is accurate and not a waste of my time. If it appears to have no issues and test drives good, pretty sure I'll pick it up. High miles, but loaded, and I'm not afraid of high mile used cars that were properly maintained.

*crossing fingers*

It is a Ford Hybrid. One of the early ones in fact. I think I would avoid it for those two reasons.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

It is a Ford Hybrid. One of the early ones in fact. I think I would avoid it for those two reasons.

Why so?

I looked at one when I got my car, and I found very little negative about it. I also know two people with high-mileage ones who've gotten great service out of theirs? All of the various sites who actually compile reliability data seem to look favorably upon it as well. The only problem I had with them is that they seemed to demand a pretty high price compared to the regular Escape.

Originally Posted By: JOD

Why so?

I looked at one when I got my car, and I found very little negative about it. I also know two people with high-mileage ones who've gotten great service out of theirs? All of the various sites who actually compile reliability data seem to look favorably upon it as well. The only problem I had with them is that they seemed to demand a pretty high price compared to the regular Escape.

The Ford Hybrids are not common cars, unlike the Toyota hybrids. Finding service and parts for it is going to be more challenging than other hybrids. Also, it seems like parts for the Ford hybrids are quite a bit more expensive than the ones for the Toyota hybrids, so that is something to consider when you purchase a high-mileage used vehicle without a warranty.

[
The Ford Hybrids are not common cars, unlike the Toyota hybrids. Finding service and parts for it is going to be more challenging than other hybrids. Also, it seems like parts for the Ford hybrids are quite a bit more expensive than the ones for the Toyota hybrids, so that is something to consider when you purchase a high-mileage used vehicle without a warranty.

What parts in particular are difficult to find for it? I know that rebuilt transmissions are readily available for around 1K, and used or reman batteries seem about the same as the Prius. Besides the transmission, battery and a few peripheral parts, most of the rest of the vehicle is shared with the regular Escape.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I'm truly curious. When I was looking at these, I simply didn't run across these issues of higher cost or limited availability for parts? Obviously as the vehicle ages it'll be a bigger issue--as you said, these aren't super common. But these days with the internet, you can always find parts from someone who decided to run his car into a tree... Are there any particular parts that would be a real concern?

Originally Posted By: JOD

What parts in particular are difficult to find for it? I know that rebuilt transmissions are readily available for around 1K, and used or reman batteries seem about the same as the Prius. Besides the transmission, battery and a few peripheral parts, most of the rest of the vehicle is shared with the regular Escape.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I'm truly curious. When I was looking at these, I simply didn't run across these issues of higher cost or limited availability for parts? Obviously as the vehicle ages it'll be a bigger issue--as you said, these aren't super common. But these days with the internet, you can always find parts from someone who decided to run his car into a tree... Are there any particular parts that would be a real concern?

Not particularly, but I'll admit that I really did not research the Ford Hybrids much after talking with bdcardinal and him giving me a ballpark idea of the prices of the battery packs-- $9k for the Escape Hybrid and $4-5k for the Fusion Hybrid. The Prius battery pack is about $2500 in comparison.

Yes, you can always get junkyard parts for a car, but that isn't how I prefer to repair my cars so I rarely look in that area. Although this may change, the number of Ford Hybrids on the road is far less than Toyota hybrids, which means that inherently independent shops will see fewer (and be less familiar with) of these vehicles. Also, I would also guess that a Ford dealer will have fewer Hybrid techs available than a Toyota dealer, since they sell fewer of those vehicles. All of these things can potentially (but not necessarily) result in hassle for servicing.

Checked out the hybrid Escape (at a Honda dealer) last Sat. Worn drivers seat, cracked pass fog light, but otherwise good condition. Wrench light and service soon came on while test driving. Other than that it went well! Dealer said it was a maintenance reminder – I looked in the owners manual and it disagreed. I said that if they could reset it after pulling any codes and it does not appear on another test drive I would still be interested provided the issue is either noted during the sale or a short 30 day/1,000 mile warrantee is offered. They couldn’t ‘reset’ it, which didn’t surprise me as I searched online during their time with it and found out that it indicates a trouble condition and goes out when that condition is fixed. They were going to take it to the Ford dealer to see what they could do and if it was a cheap fix, still offer it for sale, if not, wholesale the truck out. I had to call them on Monday to get any info and all the salesman said was that Ford indicated an ‘electrical problem’ and it was too expensive to fix. I asked to see if they would offer it to me at the wholesale price and the salesman said he’d check. Never heard back, called the next day and no answer or returned call. If it was closer I would have stopped by in person as I was very interested in getting into this vehicle for WAY below KBB. I had a feeling the fix was a $20 DIY or $200 dealer job – the blending door actuator for cooling the battery – from what I had read online and the timing of the light during the test drive. I still wanted to buy this thing, but they were no help at all. Such is the life when you’re trying to find a used vehicle for cheap – not much profit for them and they don’t care about you.

Been finding some Vues in my price range, research has me wary, though. I’d opt for the 4cyl 5spd, and the 2002-2003 seemed to have timing chain issues. Found a 2005 w/ 160k miles, but looks in good shape and is a stick. Have read about general clutch issues, though. Anyone have input on these guys? I’m steering clear of the v6/auto combos for sure.

Continuing the search…

RUUUUUUUNNNNNNNN from that Escape!

Who would get out of a 35 MPG SUV? Someone who's very fed up with it. If it got flooded etc.

I'd be looking at a Chev Tracker due to better dollar value. Great mpg, great reliability, 4x4 or 4x2 avail, newer models have depreciated enough to be a good buy, parts easy to get.

Suzuki has a longer version of the sidekick too. XL7 and or some other goofy name.

The CR-V is basically a tall Civic, pretty much bulletproof. Even an old one will last a long long time. No V6 or high-end features but that's what keeps it simple and reliable.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The CR-V is basically a tall Civic, pretty much bulletproof. Even an old one will last a long long time. No V6 or high-end features but that's what keeps it simple and reliable.

Actually the old ones besides being underpowered have a tendency to burn up valves at great owner expense. It seems like something to research deeper before purchase.

Before I bought our Tribute, I was in contact with a guy about a 2005 Escape Hybrid with low mileage.

I did a lot of reading about them, and found out that Ford definetly got the hybrid system in that vehicle right - I could barely find any complaints or concers about it.

The one I found was a bit 'sketchy' - it was in another province, and was being sold 'by the guy for his dad, and I don't really know much about it'...BUT if I hadn't found the Tribute we bought while waiting for him to answer, I would have gone and had a look at it.

Also, I understand what you are saying about fuel economy, but don't rule out all V-6 small SUV's. The smooth power delivery is worth it - often, the fours are worked to the max.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Also, I understand what you are saying about fuel economy, but don't rule out all V-6 small SUV's. The smooth power delivery is worth it - often, the fours are worked to the max.

I don't know if all the 4 bangers are really worked that hard on the highway, as long as the speeds are reasonable. 95% of our driving is on 50 mph roads so it doesn't take much hp to go those speeds, if I had a long commute at 70mph then a bigger engine in a would be nice but for some reason the V6's in this class do use alot more gas. And I think the only early 2000's small SUV with a V6 and manual is a Tracker/XL7 and it hurts mileage quite a bit.
Also I tow 2000+lbs fairly often and power is never an issue at the speed limit, some hills take 4th gear, the odd one needs 3rd to maintain 50mph but that's why the transmission has gears...

Originally Posted By: dparm
The CR-V is basically a tall Civic...

...and an Escape/Tribute/Mariner is basically a tall Mazda 626.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back