Toyota Sienna vs. Traverse vs. ? for family of 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Aren't these 2 choices kind of different?

Certainly, but they both meet the basic requirement I set out - need to haul around a newly expanded family of 6.

Your Flex idea had me stumble upon the earlier Freestyle. Pretty inexpensive choice from what I see. I am actually wide open on price/used/new on this.

On a similar note, the used Sienna had me looking at like an '06 vintage with reasonable miles.. I'm just not finding a ton at what seem to reasonable prices on an absolute basis or compared to Edmunds' estimates. I'm also thinking used Minivans are the most likely to be cosmetically/interior trashed by families/kids..

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Chrysler = bottom of the barrel long term quality. JD powers, Consumer Reports, everyone says the same.

Honda has iffy transmissions and, IMHO overrated.

Sienna and Traverse are solid choices.

If you are OK with the looks, check out the Ford Flex. Limo like interrior, a decent 3rd row (I'm 6'2" and it would be fine for short trips). Powertrain is solid as well (Ford 3.5 or Ecoboost 3.5).

"Honda has iffy transmissions.."

Wasn't that solved a decade ago? My daughter has a 2001 that got the notice about the transmission and had the warranty extended but she never had any problems. She still has that Odyssey and it runs great, same transmission, not a hint of a problem. Her Odyssey is approaching 200K miles and is completely trouble free.

With a family of 6 (congrats...!), I'd go with the minivan

They offer much more versatility - seats removed you can haul 4X8 sheets of drywall, plywood,... Not sure you can do that with a traverse...?

I assume the kids are younger, too? Strollers, luggage,... Been there myself and those sliding doors make it so much easier when messing with car seats. Plus the kids (or you or wife) can walk from front to back if necessary when they get sick or something.

I wouldn't buy new, though... The immediate depreciation just hurts too much. I'm a fan of the certified pre-owned deals

Personally, we have the Odyssey but my brother had the sienna and loved it

Had a Chrysler minivan years ago... Too many years ago to compare and had a few Windstars up until '06.

If you can get over the stigma associated with minivans, the rest is easy

My .02

Used is the way to buy minivans. Kids are hard on them. No need to take the depreciation hit with something you know will be a rolling science lab full of chicken nuggets and other detritus dropped by the kids.

Wasn't that solved a decade ago? My daughter has a 2001 that got the notice about the transmission and had the warranty extended but she never had any problems. She still has that Odyssey and it runs great, same transmission, not a hint of a problem. Her Odyssey is approaching 200K miles and is completely trouble free.

That poster just does not like Honda which is fine and loves Ford. Any post will down Chrysler and also Honda to a degree show some weird brand puppy love for Ford.

The transmission problem of earlier 2000's seems to have been resolved. Apparently they are tougher now as my sister in law who thinks changing oil is how you take of a car has never done it to her 130k 08 Ody. It is her first automatic car and vehicle purchased for more than $5000.

It seems the Toyota, Honda, Chrysler are all great choices for minivans. I would put my money on Toyota as most reliable/durable. My qualm with Honda is timing belt and valve clearance inspections they still require.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Used is the way to buy minivans. Kids are hard on them. No need to take the depreciation hit with something you know will be a rolling science lab full of chicken nuggets and other detritus dropped by the kids.

Amen on that! Used, or a lower cost Chrysler product. We're on our third minivan. First was a used 2001 Windstar LX, second was a new 2008 Odyssey LX, currently a new 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. (loved them all)

With my family of 6 and the use this work horse sees, it's tough to keep it neat, clean and blemish free, that's for sure.

I would have loved another new Honda or a new Toyota MV, but don't have money falling out of my pockets, nor do I see the point in trashing a $40K Toyota or Honda MV.

Then again.. You can save a whopping $5K by purchasing one that's 4yrs old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deanm11
Your Flex idea had me stumble upon the earlier Freestyle. Pretty inexpensive choice from what I see. I am actually wide open on price/used/new on this.

On a similar note, the used Sienna had me looking at like an '06 vintage with reasonable miles.. I'm just not finding a ton at what seem to reasonable prices on an absolute basis or compared to Edmunds' estimates. I'm also thinking used Minivans are the most likely to be cosmetically/interior trashed by families/kids..

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Chrysler = bottom of the barrel long term quality. JD powers, Consumer Reports, everyone says the same.

Honda has iffy transmissions and, IMHO overrated.

Sienna and Traverse are solid choices.

If you are OK with the looks, check out the Ford Flex. Limo like interrior, a decent 3rd row (I'm 6'2" and it would be fine for short trips). Powertrain is solid as well (Ford 3.5 or Ecoboost 3.5).

Op,
make sure you have a a mechanic specialized in working CVT trans. these share platform with volvos of that year.
the even rarer Taurus X has a 3.5 engine and automatic trans.

contact user JOD! he seems to be the Freestyle expert

these are some of the best optioned buys! but if trans is out you are looking at $4,500 at a minimum, unless you can rebuild the trans yourself, can get a rebuild one cheap, or use other freestyle as transplant.

let me trow in another one in there:
the new ford connect wagon 7-seater version. with the turbo :))

OP,
i think there was an offer for gran caravan AVP (less optioned Chrysler minivan) package at around 19K....
is this still going?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Wasn't that solved a decade ago?

Yes. A non-issue today.
These days, you only have to worry about their engine needing new rings or a short block :-(

When Honda dealer technicians start publicly moaning about having to do too many engine repairs under warranty/recall and not paying enough hours for that job, you know that things are not well in the VCM land :-(

Last edited:
I have had the opportunity to rent a Caravan SXT/equivalent T&Cs as well as Sienna LEs about half a dozen times this year. The Sienna is overall superior, and I would say it's not even close. The only thing better in the Chrysler is the responsiveness of the power doors. The Sienna's seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.

Several mentions have been made about the Chrysler's new engine and tranny combo - IMO this is the vehicles' greatest weakness! The transmission shifts too soon, too late, too abruptly, etc. This happened in every van we had. I don't care if it's got more hp, it doesn't actually perform any better in any meaningful way. In contrast, the Siennas all behaved as nicely as I could ask of an automatic, with plenty of power.

jeff

Last edited:

Still an issue well into 2008, IIRC. I'd still be very leery of an Odyssey unless it had a nice long warranty attached to it.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

That poster just does not like Honda which is fine and loves Ford. Any post will down Chrysler and also Honda to a degree show some weird brand puppy love for Ford.

Why? Cause I point out the FACT that the 2 most trusted quality ratings companies (JD Powers and Consumers Reports) point Chryslers as the bottom of the barrel in long term quality?

Or that Honda has just as many issues as the Big 3. Their owners just "poo poo it" and "give Honda another chance". I've always said Honda is way overrated. Their poop is just as brown as Ford and GM, it's just people like to cover it with Lysol and pretend it don't stink!

Or how about that I said the Traverse is also a solid choice. Or even the Toyota. Or for S&G if you can find a Hyundai/Kia minivan with the warranty still intact that may also be a good one. Yeah, real Ford bias there...

Quote:
The transmission problem of earlier 2000's seems to have been resolved.

Really?
http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-arch...from-maker.html
Note the spike in 2008.

Or this report:
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Odyssey/

I don't know what years the OP is looking at but it is something to be aware of.

Last edited:
The traverse and its incestuous family members do not have the capacity or reliability of the sienna. Other than the price we are very happy for the almost 4 years of ownership with ours and have had zero issues. In hindsight I very much regret not buying a stripper Caravan with the pentastar simply from the price difference.

Another option that may be worth looking into if you are OK with the styling is the Nissan Quest. Sweet VQ engine and probably a decent transmission (Nissan uses JATCO) and the 04+'s were not CVT.

Last edited:
this is what happens when people cant just ANSWER THE OP's QUESTION.....
the thread turns in to meaningless 10 paragraph post's and deters the OP from gaining education about the issue at hand.
Seems to happen allot here lately.....

I'd pick Durango over Traverse. Reliability may be iffy, but you could get lucky. It consistently wins 3-row SUV comparisons.

If I had to buy minivan, it would be a Sienna SE.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
. Now of course, you'll see odd cases in every brand but odds are you will get a more reliable transmission from Toyota / Aisin instead of Chrysler / ZF.

The Chrysler 6-speed is not a ZF. The 9-speed used in the Cherokee, Dart, and 200 is the FWD ZF used by Chrysler, unless they've started using it in the vans and I didn't notice. And the Sienna transmission has been awful, don't give it an easy pass! And the Odyssey-worse! Minivans are the pits- all brands- for transmission reliability. At least Chrysler has improved over the past 20 years. Honda is currently the worst, Chrysler and Toyota are about the same. The Pentastar is a better engine than the Toyota, though, which would seal the deal for me. But I will never own a minivan.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
...The Pentastar is a better engine than the Toyota, though, which would seal the deal for me.

Could you elaborate? Better in what way(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back