Used an OCOD yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Iv used Fram orange cans a few times never had a problem with them, I don't believe there bad filters and I don't care how many times people say cardboard end caps.

You forgot to mention the subpar black nitrile ADBV. If it isn't silicone, it never clasps my hand enroute to the cash register.
But the best ADBV is no ADBV. That's my PF61 AC Delco for my Colorado pickup.

A lot of people get caught up in adbv most engines the filter is vertical and screws into from the bottom and makes a adbv useless. My motorcycle and my Miata are the only things I have that are horizontal and they go over 1yr oci so on those I will always get silicone but the rest it dosent matter. It's funny a lot of people don't even know how it works.
Millions of Toyota filters are mounted base down. Nice try at making the silk purse.

Last edited:
Iv used Fram orange cans a few times never had a problem with them, I don't believe there bad filters and I don't care how many times people say cardboard end caps.

You forgot to mention the subpar black nitrile ADBV. If it isn't silicone, it never clasps my hand enroute to the cash register.

In principle, I'd agree with you.
In practice, I've never known it to make any difference.
The black ADBVs have always worked as well in my personal experience as the red ones.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

A lot of people get caught up in adbv most engines the filter is vertical and screws into from the bottom and makes a adbv useless. My motorcycle and my Miata are the only things I have that are horizontal and they go over 1yr oci so on those I will always get silicone but the rest it dosent matter. It's funny a lot of people don't even know how it works.
Millions of Toyota filters are mounted base down. Nice try at making the silk purse.

I said most engines. never said all engines. of course there are millions mounted base down or horizontal I own 2 like that. . A little reading will get you a long way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Poohbah
Your truck will never be the same. Don't be surprised if you drop your tranny and both headlights burn out. And that's just the beginning.

LMAO

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

In principle, I'd agree with you.
In practice, I've never known it to make any difference.
The black ADBVs have always worked as well in my personal experience as the red ones.

+1

Both Nitrile and Silicone ADBVs have worked fine for me as well.

A lot of people get caught up in adbv most engines the filter is vertical and screws into from the bottom and makes a adbv useless.

No, it still somewhat helps contain the oil in the passageways in the engine above the filter.

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
If you can avoid the influence of BITOG, a Fram isn't so bad.

HA! In the mid 90's when I started driving, the local auto parts store had a display with a PH8A and the equivalent Wix filter cut open for display. Seeing that display caused me to never use a Fram and that was long before BITOG!

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger

A lot of people get caught up in adbv most engines the filter is vertical and screws into from the bottom and makes a adbv useless.

No, it still somewhat helps contain the oil in the passageways in the engine above the filter.

It's a anti drain back valve. Not an anti gravity valve. The filter and engine will remain at the same level of oil with or without one if its vertical and screwed upward. Unless your in space without gravity..then you'd be rite.

^^^ Depending on the layout of the oiling system, oil galleries that are way above the filter and sump could drain down with a vertically mounted filter not using an ADBV.

But it would drain into a filter that's full of oil and so it wouldn't displace it.

If there is no ADBV on a vertically mounted oil filter, and there is enough oil volume above the filter in the oil galleries (ie, head pressure), then those galleries certainly could drain down.

The oil filter may not drain out however, unless it too is mounted way above the oil level in the sump and there is enough head pressure due to the location of the oil above the sump to drain back into the sump. This is why you will usually get a lot of oil draining back down from the oil galleries when the oil filter is removed. Because liquid will always try to achieve the level of the sump unless there is something holding back the oil volume above the sump level.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

The oil filter may not drain out however, unless it too is mounted way above the oil level in the sump and there is enough head pressure due to the location of the oil above the sump to drain back into the sump. This is why you will usually get a lot of oil draining back down from the oil galleries when the oil filter is removed.

Bingo!

Yes ADBV's are beneficial even in an base up mounted filter.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

The oil filter may not drain out however, unless it too is mounted way above the oil level in the sump and there is enough head pressure due to the location of the oil above the sump to drain back into the sump. This is why you will usually get a lot of oil draining back down from the oil galleries when the oil filter is removed.

Bingo!

Indeed, my silverado is a base up mount, however when it is unscrewed oil will drain for several seconds out of the mount. The ADBV certainly does function. silicone and nitrite valves have both always worked well for me.

I knew this topic would generate some responses. I have full confidence in the orange can. I've known many people who always used fram oil filters. They are not nearly as bad as some claim.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Bingo!

Yes. Many years ago when I had my 91 Sierra, I started using the AC PF35, and it would take a couple seconds to build up OP. Had light knock at times. This was an upright filter.
Then the PF1218 came out and the OP was instant. Also was good with the Fram PH5 and Puro equivalents I used that did have an ADBV. So it can make a difference.

The OCOD will probably work for you.

The issues I have with FRAM OCOD and TG filters are:

- They are value engineered and decontented to the extreme.

- FRAM quality control can be hit and miss.

You put these two things together and you can occasionally get a bad filter.

Now the Ultra is different but it is at a much higher price point.

Anyone can build a good $9 oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back