Used 2013 Mustang finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2013 Mustang GT with 12,000 miles and in like new shape the color is a deep blue and when clean it really looks great "from say 5 feet away!" What I did not notice on purchase call it caught up in the moment and bought it on a cloudy day was up close it looks like the finish has many swirl marks and real lite scratches in the finish. I am looking for advice on what to do to improve the finish and or make the shine "POP". I do have one problem I have cancer and after a few hrs of polishing will wipe me out so I'm looking for a solution that won't burn me out. Say wash some sort of cleaner swirl remover and wax is about all I could handle in a day. Thank you in advance!

being a 2013, id say hire a professional. it can be done but it would be faster and easier to let someone spend a little time on it and you have no worries with it.

First and most important, I'm very sorry to hear about the cancer. You have our thoughts and prayers!

I'd try some Duragloss Swirl Mark Remover that not only contains polishing agents to remove the fine scratches but also a durable sealant for protection. Give it a whirl.

http://www.duragloss.com/Pre-Polishing-Agents/Swirl-Mark-Remover/8-oz.---Duragloss-SMR-(Swirl-Mark-Remover)

Getting your car looking better takes work so if your body can't handle it I'd hire a detailer to do it.
If you have a polisher it's not a big deal.
Over the counter products that work pretty good are meguiars ultimate polish to remove swirls and their ultimate wax. The meguiars ultimate compound is good IF you need it but will have to use the polish after that.

Sorry to hear about your cancer and I agree with the other comments about hiring a detailer to do it if you have the means. Given the color and condition of the paint on your Mustang, it's going to be quite labor intensive, even with all the right tools and products, to get the paint corrected. People that buy dark colored used cars without looking at the paint condition in the right lighting, and later on want them corrected, makes up a decent sized portion of my business.
Good luck with whatever approach you take.

Do you polish by hand or with a DA polisher? I haven't upgraded to a true DA polisher (Meguiars, Griots, Porter Cable just ot name a few brands) but they are all the rave on auto detailing forums. Supposed to make even a full detail much easier.

Originally Posted By: crgstvrs
being a 2013, id say hire a professional. it can be done but it would be faster and easier to let someone spend a little time on it and you have no worries with it.

This. I'd take the time to find some one reliable, and pay for the extra steps to do it right. That is, don't look for a rock bottom price. After that, you can keep it looking nice without any extra fuss.

If you must do it yourself. About the easiest method would be to use an all in one. The Ford paints like on the Mustang are fairly hard, at least the equal to German cars. Get yourself a DA polisher, Harbor Freight sells one fairly inexpensively. They also have foam pads for them so get yourself the polishing pad. As for the All in one, the one with the best correction ability is definitely Meguiars D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream. It's pretty much designed to be the fastest most easy to use product for professionals so it will definitely save a lot of effort. Use that and it'll correct the paint to like new and remove the vast majority of swirls and leave an ok amount of protection.

In the 2-4 weeks the protection lasts then after you can wash and use a dedicated long lasting wax like Collinite 845. That's a very easy to use wax, read up about it. And remember to reduce the effort needed to buff the paint after waxing or polishing, less is more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back