Use 6 year old unopened bottle of ATF?

I'm going to be replacing the radiator on my Tahoe tomorrow and just remembered I'll need some Dexron VI to replace the amount in the cooler.

I live 30 miles from a real parts store or Walmart. The best I have is Dollar General's selection (Valvoline Maxlife) or some Supertech Dexron VI that's been sitting on my shelf in my garage for about 6 years. The last option is to drive the 30 miles and get some new Dexron VI.

Which would you use? I'm really leaning toward just using the Supertech I have.
20230205_201047.jpg

20230205_201107.jpg

Date code looks to be 83rd day of 2017.

I believe most companies that spec a shelf life say 5 years.

Having said that, I would use what you have. What is the factory ATF change interval - likely longer than that, and its been in a sealed container unused.

I'd use it, as it was said before - many transmissions run ATF for many years where ATF goes thru work, heat cycles and contamination, so this ATF will be an improvement either way.

I'm going to be replacing the radiator on my Tahoe tomorrow and just remembered I'll need some Dexron VI to replace the amount in the cooler.

I live 30 miles from a real parts store or Walmart. The best I have is Dollar General's selection (Valvoline Maxlife) or some Supertech Dexron VI that's been sitting on my shelf in my garage for about 6 years. The last option is to drive the 30 miles and get some new Dexron VI.

Which would you use? I'm really leaning toward just using the Supertech I have.
View attachment 139014

View attachment 139015
Date code looks to be 83rd day of 2017.
I would have no problem using it.

Back