USB power bank troubles

OK. Didn’t last. I left it powering my iPad at night, and it looks like it died overnight and then started reversing where the iPad can provide output power. It’s just way too wonky, so I’ll just return it and they can do a postmortem or whatever.

Any ideas whether or not this is worth saving, or just plunk down the $5 shipping for another warranty replacement?

Just to recap:

A) Stopped working all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago. It would flash a single indicator light (charging) with input power, but would show no charge-level indicator lights if I pressed the button and didn't provide power to any device.

B) Contacted ZAGG and the eventual offer was $4.99 shipping (through a one-time code) where standard warranty shipping is $9.99. Was also told there was no way to reset the device in case something was corrupted and that the warranty (two years) starts at the first purchase (this is my third one where all were shipped directly from ZAGG).

C) Before sending it out I just tried pressing the indicator/start button and it was flashing a single light. Then I tried charging it where it was showing one flashing light and then quickly got to the fourth light flashing. I though maybe it got out of some previous failsafe condition and was working normally again. But then I checked in the morning and it quickly went down to one indicator light and then that light flashing as if the battery were near empty.

It does occur to me that perhaps it has some sort of poor internal connection. I had a similar USB power bank that stopped working and I opened it up where I saw there was a broken spot weld where electrical tape worked as a shim to improve the connection to the battery. If that's the case, it won't be worth keeping if I can just get another one.

Back