US releases drone footage from collision with Russian fighter jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screenshot_20230316-220621~2.jpg

So, shooting down a Russian airplane is an act of war, but knocking one of our aircraft down is OK?

I really don’t see any difference between a shoot down and an intentional mid air collision.

They’re both hostile acts.

I seem to recall Turkey did this already, a few years ago, and Russia did nothing.

Last edited:
I love that we live in a country where if the US government or media reports it then a certain portion of the population simply believes the opposite must be true...cue conspiracy theorists...

I do love the predictability of people...

So, shooting down a Russian airplane is an act of war, but knocking one of our aircraft down is OK?

I really don’t see any difference between a shoot down and an intentional mid air collision.

They’re both hostile acts.
ruSSkies like to provoke and then play victims.
Interviews with rus citizens are shocking, propaganda etched their brains, they literally hate anybody.
One spark, and ww3 is up.

Maybe the jet wing tip got right between the 2 vertical stabilizers and hit only the propeller? Could be a lucky shot.

I don't know much about data streams but makes me wonder if interpreting those glitch patterns can reveal anything about the type of tech used. I presume who ever signed off on the video release took this into account. Pretty sure someone's coming up with a video on YouTube about these patterns soon!

The fighter pilot is keeled over after celebrating his first air to air kill and that he wasn't promoted to submariner.

It's not as if they recovered it yet and pulled the camera footage. In fact, didn't US European Command say that they started a data wipe almost immediately? Obviously the video was transmitted and captured over the air. I don't know enough about transmission circuitry, but I do remember listening to a radio station during the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. It started getting staticky, the DJ said something about an earthquake, and after about 10-15 seconds it went dead. I know this is rampant speculation (what else do we do here? but I could see the shock of an impact affecting the data transmission.

If they give the pilot a kill, it would be like a Mad Magazine cartoon I saw where a guy is talking to his buddy about how he stalked and shot the deer whose head is mounted on his wall, while his wife is telling her friend how he just ran into it with his car and then declared it to a game warden at a checkpoint as if he had hunted it.

It did kind of remind me of that Tomcat scene from The Final Countdown. The infamous one where it looks like it's about to hit the water before pulling up just in time. Only the Flanker pilot is trying to avoid hitting the Reaper and has an epic fail. There's other video from Russian planes showing really close flybys. I understand there's no need to fly that close to another aircraft other than for flight demos, movies, or hotdogging.

I love that we live in a country where if the US government or media reports it then a certain portion of the population simply believes the opposite must be true...cue conspiracy theorists...

I do love the predictability of people...

⬛⬛

I guess the claim is that the footage was "spliced together". I think it just got turned around. Before the collision the light is shining on the left side of the vertical stabilizer. After the collision the light is shining on the right side. I'm guessing that there's probably more footage before they erased everything and ditched it in the water.

I can see them in your second screen shot

I get what the claim is - that this footage was deep faked or somehow manufactured. But it's clear that the stripes and that side of the propeller are well lit in the first screen cap, while it's pretty dark in the second screen cap. I don't see how it demonstrates anything other than a different position relative to the sun where the propeller isn't as well lit. The propeller as a whole looks pretty dark in the footage after the collision.

That was fuel dump, not AB. AB plumes don’t linger in the air like fuel. Those lingered.

Two passes, getting very close, looked to me like he was trying to “thump” the drone with his wake/jet wash.

But he got too close.
That was my assessment, that the pilot was dumping fuel and trying to create a air wake to knock it out of the sky.

However I see no evidence of any strike on that video. We're told it hit the prop. I see the opposite of that on the video, no damage to the prop nor any evidence it was struck by anything other than air pressure. Seems to me a high speed collision with the prop would have had dramatic effect and video evidence. I see nothing of the sort.

I'm no pilot but I am aware that strong air wakes can disrupt lift and otherwise knock aircraft down. I've seen a few reports of airplanes crashing after losing flight physics, in the wake of others. And, we're told a lot of things these days.

That was my assessment, that the pilot was dumping fuel and trying to create a air wake to knock it out of the sky.

However I see no evidence of any strike on that video. We're told it hit the prop. I see the opposite of that on the video, no damage to the prop nor any evidence it was struck by anything other than air pressure. Seems to me a high speed collision with the prop would have had dramatic effect and video evidence. I see nothing of the sort.

I'm no pilot but I am aware that strong air wakes can disrupt lift and otherwise knock aircraft down. I've seen a few reports of airplanes crashing after losing flight physics, in the wake of others. And, we're told a lot of things these days.
The damage is evident in the end of the video.

unavoidable because the maneuver was executed so poorly.
Done poorly?
The intent appears to be to bring down the drone without firing shots. If that was the intent, dumping fuel on it at high speed and altitude without colliding to my eyes appears to have been expertly accomplished. The drone was in the pilots blind spot, it appears, at some points.

And, as I said above, it did not appear to me to have physically struck the drone. It doused it with fuel, and caused a jet wake sufficient to cripple the drone. Seems the US did something similar x4 earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back