US releases drone footage from collision with Russian fighter jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't buy the propeller story - if you look at that drone, it's pretty much impossible to hit the prop without crashing into the rear fins.
I don't think any pilot would risk that - let alone the probable damage at his own aircraft.

Also you don't see any impact in the video, and that color bar glitch at the end is also pretty cheesy - that's not what video cameras do - and I'm a cinematographer since over 30 years. I crashed several cameras during that time, so I know.

I just heard that the drone had its transponder turned off, which of course is a violation of international law.
You can plainly see the damaged propeller at the end of the tape…you saw that and “don’t buy the propeller story”?
Or you didn’t watch the whole tape?

You can plainly see the damaged propeller at the end of the tape…you saw that and “don’t buy the propeller story”?
Or you didn’t watch the whole tape?

I'm sure the claim is that it was faked because somehow the propeller couldn't be hit without also damaging one of the fins. But then again the camera angle is under the wing and we can't see what happened to the fins. It's made of composites, so I'm thinking it's not something that would necessarily damage a Flanker enough that it couldn't fly.

An incredibly dumb, risky stunt to pull but this pilot knows it’s condoned or else I doubt they would do something so reckless.

Try pulling a stunt like that in any western airforce and your career is over plus more while I have no doubt this pilot will be treated like a hero when back at base ( same with Chinese Airforce ).

Also you don't see any impact in the video, and that color bar glitch at the end is also pretty cheesy - that's not what video cameras do - and I'm a cinematographer since over 30 years. I crashed several cameras during that time, so I know.
It was an interruption of the data link caused by the impact.

I'm glad you know cameras - but you have zero experience with this sensor suite.

Yeah - I think the dump was to try and contaminate sensors, and/or cause engine problems. It appeared to be a deliberate effort to bring it down without actually shooting it. But hitting it nearly accomplished the same thing.

People assume that other countries pilots are like ours - highly trained, highly experienced. But the Russian Air Force doesn't have the money to let their pilots fly many hours/month. So, career pilots, but often without a lot of actual flight time.

This was poor airmanship, lousy flying. A mistake made by a slightly inept, and highly overconfident fighter pilot.
No, why would they, US military budget are much more than any county in the world. Russian air force are dog and pony show compered to US air force

Whatever happened to the Russian fighter jet? Did it sustain any damage? Was it able to land safely?

I'm sure the claim is that it was faked because somehow the propeller couldn't be hit without also damaging one of the fins. But then again the camera angle is under the wing and we can't see what happened to the fins. It's made of composites, so I'm thinking it's not something that would necessarily damage a Flanker enough that it couldn't fly.
Maybe the jet wing tip got right between the 2 vertical stabilizers and hit only the propeller? Could be a lucky shot.

It was an interruption of the data link caused by the impact.
I don't know much about data streams but makes me wonder if interpreting those glitch patterns can reveal anything about the type of tech used. I presume who ever signed off on the video release took this into account. Pretty sure someone's coming up with a video on YouTube about these patterns soon!

Whatever happened to the Russian fighter jet? Did it sustain any damage? Was it able to land safely?
The fighter pilot is keeled over after celebrating his first air to air kill and that he wasn't promoted to submariner.

Screenshot_20230316-220553~2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back