Upper Radiator Hose Clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be changing the upper radiator hose on a 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7L within the next few days. Current hose has the standard worm gear clamps.

WIll be a gates hose.Was thinking of using a more advanced clamp although I have not had issues with the old fashioned worm gear clamps.

Two options I have locally are the below. Has anyone used either and are they better than the standard worm gear clamp?

MasterPro

Ideal Tridon

More info on the Ideal Tridon clamp.here

Thanks

I always thought constant tension clamps were the ones that cut the [censored] out of your hands. You know, the ones with the ears at a 60 degree angle and that they make the special remote hose clamp pliers for.

I would stick with what you have if it is working correctly, but if I had to choose, I would use the one in the second link you posted.

My preference is to use the same style clamps the OEM installed, including the spring style.

Originally Posted by tnt31
Will be changing the upper radiator hose on a 2004 Jeep Liberty 3.7L within the next few days. Current hose has the standard worm gear clamps.

WIll be a gates hose.Was thinking of using a more advanced clamp although I have not had issues with the old fashioned worm gear clamps.

Two options I have locally are the below. Has anyone used either and are they better than the standard worm gear clamp?

MasterPro

Ideal Tridon

More info on the Ideal Tridon clamp.here

Thanks

hey tnt31.. I'm using the masterpro constant tension clamp right now on my scion tC. One of the spring loaded clamps doesn't fit, no matter what Toyota said.. I've had this type of clamp on the coolant hose since 2013 (replaced it again this year because I replace hoses every 5 years). It does NOT cut into the hose at all! It leaves a smooth band mark on it, that's it. I'd use them over the worm clamps, I never liked how those cut into the hoses. No thanks. also.. I had to play with it to make sure it was tight enough that it didn't weep coolant, but once I figured out what was tight enough for my car, it's held!

I like them.. solved the problem for me.

The Master Pro looks like an Ideal Tridon Flex-Gear constant tension clamp. This type of clamp is heavy duty. My local NAPA stocks them behind the counter.

Be careful tightening the clamp on plastic radiators because the clamp can exert a lot of force. This type of clamp has always solved my cold leak radiator hose problems. I use the Flex-Gear 47 series.

https://idealtridon.com/aftermarket/flex-gear/

I had pitted aluminum nipples to contend with on old BMWs When ever I had a hose off I used this https://www.permatex.com/products/g...ation-form-a-gasket-no-3-sealant-liquid/ or the #2

fixes drips , yet hose pulls right off without drama
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back