Upgrading wheels - Specialized Allez Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some assistance with choosing a new set of wheels (700c) for my Specialized Allez Elite road bike.

It came with a set of Alex ALX330 (16 spokes front, 20 rear). Nothing spectacular, but I have put well over 5,000 miles on them. The main issue that I've had with them, is that I've broken 2 or 3 spokes (bladed) while out on the road. Not after going through a pothole or anything like that, just a twang and gone.

I do weigh 190 pounds, but am 6 foot 3 inches tall.

I ride out in the rural areas. Most roads are chip seal (aka oil and chip), with some asphalt and concrete.

My goal would be to compromise durability and price, without a huge weight penalty. The wheels will have to haul right at 215 pounds total.

My goal is to spend between $200 and $300 for a set.

As far as breaking spokes, I wonder if I should be looking a set of wheels with straight pull spokes? A set of Mavic Aksiums would still be in the price range.

Any other suggestions from research or personal experience?

Breaking both front and rear?

I was breaking only rear, cassette side spokes.

The combination of budget, power and 260 plus pounds drove me to Vuelta Corsa HD wheels.

Not light, but do fall in the price range you mentioned.

Haven't broken a spoke a the two years I've been riding them.

I am down to 215 now and have put my factory Giant wheels back on the bike.

If you have only broken 3 spokes in 5k miles, why not just keep riding what you have and replace the spokes as needed.

Especially if it is just the rear wheel.

Or have the wheel relaced by your LBS?

Talking about Custom wheels, for my (stolen from me at work) CX bike, I had my LBS lace up Stan's Alpha 400 32 spoke F/R laced to Shimano 105 hubs, with DT Swiss double-butted spokes, and DT Swiss red nipples. With the spokes, I had a little customization done....

I stole an idea from Specialized high end Roval wheels, and used a contrasting color spokes, and had 28 spokes in black, with 4 spokes in silver surrounding the valve stem hole.

I had a friend lace up a set of Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs to Velocity A23 rims. The rear one was stolen, so he did one again but with a non-offset A23 and straight spokes vs. DT Swiss double-butted.

Until I can afford to go all bling-bling with Zipp 404s or Enve SES aero carbon, they're the best wheel I've ridden so far.

Have your LBS order up a set of Q's "custom" rims. I think a Velocity A23 rim and a Shimano 105 level or DT Swiss 350 hub combo could be doable for $300.

Look for 32 double butted spokes per wheel, this will greatly reduce if not eliminate your spoke breakage issues. Hand built would be best but not likely in your price range. Quality spokes from DT, Wheelsmith, or Sapim will last longer than generic spokes.

I've put about 10,000 miles on these; wore out the front brake track, rear is still usable--but I'm on disc now. I've used them for training and bad pavement crits, and they've held up great. I'm quite a bit lighter, but they've led a hard life perfectly:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DT-Swiss-R460-Shimano-5800-105-Hubs-Road-Bike-Wheelset-8-9-10-11s-Shimano-sram/272605069262?epid=707117424&hash=item3f78873fce:g:xfoAAOSwWxNY1v2s:rk:8:pf:0

For cheap training wheels, you can't do better. Serviceable hubs, DT spokes, tubeless-compatible rims.

A cross spoke pattern it going to be stronger, so at your size I'd ditch the radial lacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back