upgrading cables/connectors: how are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of upgrading the cables and connectors of my Onkyo mini system...(i don't know why in the world I used the "in-box" cables bare wire hooked up directly to the hole of the 5-way binding post for so long...)

I'm planning to go with the following, and was wondering if any of you have used (or have past experience with) or have any info about them: here they are:

speaker cable $0.90 per foot

2 pairs bananas ($ 1.99 each)

speaker pins $3.90

Last edited:
Hey Tbird,

Some believe that bare wire connections are best.

I don't have any experience with the products you have chosen. Have you asked your question at one of the HT forums like: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/index.php

After 8 years, I just changed my home theater set up and had to run new wires to my back speakers (70' total). I spent a few hours at the above site to get up to speed on current cable wisdom. More than ever, it now seems that most people believe speaker cable differences are slight (if any) regarding sound quality. Having sufficient gage seems more important.

This site: http://www.bluejeanscable.com/ seems to be very well respected for having good products at reasonable prices. Check their tech. articles. I bought their Beldin speaker cable (in-wall rated)for .37/ft. based on all the good reviews. However, it is probably a stiffer cable than what you have picked out if that is a concern.

Blue Jeans excels at serving the customer. Shipping is low and super fast.

Good luck and have fun.

yep. Thanks:
I decided on the following stuff from blue Jeans cable:

14 ft of the 12-gauge BJC 5000UPE cable @ 0.40/ft + 2 pairs of BJC banana plugs(non-lock) = about $18.00 (incl. ship/handl)...not bad at all.

Thanks for pointing me towards BJC.

(I will still get the pins for the speaker-end of the cables though...I hate pushing bare wire into the spring type-holes, and I don't have a soldering gun to tin them...can't justify buying one, 'cause don't do that type of thing often enough)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back