Updated SkyActiv oil filter 1WPE-14-302

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a bunch of SkyActiv oil filters on Amazon that were advertised as PE01-14-302A however what I received was 1WPE-14-302. After some Googling it seems that Mazda has updated the filter so instead of being made in Japan by Tokyo-roki, it's now made in Thailand. It appears to be significantly different construction and a slightly smaller diameter. I don't have a picture to show it but it's the same height. It also feels a bit lighter in weight, just generally not as substantial.

I normally run FRAM Ultra filters in all my engines but with all the noise about SkyActiv oil pressure specs I had decided just to stay with OEM as they were such good quality but after seeing this I don't know.

Seems like a backwards step to me but one has to assume Mazda knows what they're doing ? I might return them and go with the specially made Wix 57002 filter for SkyActiv.

What's odd 'to me' is the box refers to these as "cartridge oil filter". I think of these as canister or commonly called spin on filters. I can see the cartridge or element on the inside, at least on the right. Obviously no adbv required here.

Originally Posted By: scotty64
I ordered a bunch of SkyActiv oil filters on Amazon that were advertised as PE01-14-302A however what I received was 1WPE-14-302. After some Googling it seems that Mazda has updated the filter so instead of being made in Japan by Tokyo-roki, it's now made in Thailand.

Mazda puts a letter after the part number to signify a design change/superseded in the part. So is the 302 actually the newer design since the prefix in the p/n is also changed? Your photos shows the 302 to be made in Thailand.

I have noticed that for things such as brake pads, Mazda has the normal part # and a 'value' part # which is a little cheaper. Maybe they have started to do this with oil filters?

Originally Posted By: ozric
I have noticed that for things such as brake pads, Mazda has the normal part # and a 'value' part # which is a little cheaper. Maybe they have started to do this with oil filters?

Thing is though they already released a 'value' filter earlier this year PE01-14-302A MV. The 1WPE P/N is yet another revision.

Scotty64, You say the diameter of the new filter (1WPE-14-302) is slightly smaller. Does that mean a wrench that fit the old one won't fit the new one? I can't tell from the picture, does the new one (1WPE-14-302) have an O-ring gasket or a flat one? Would the old one and the new "MV" one use the same size wrench?

Last edited:

Thing is though they already released a 'value' filter earlier this year PE01-14-302A MV. The 1WPE P/N is yet another revision.

You're absolutely right, I just called my Mazda dealer and they've said the new model that you recieved is the newest superceded part, but my dealership hasn't yet received them and currently have the PE01-14-302B. I'm going to head over and buy a few before the newest part number arrives. Have you been able to see whether the newest filter is still made by Tokyo Roki and being manufactured in another country?

Originally Posted By: Mazdazoomzoom
Scotty64, You say the diameter of the new filter (1WPE-14-302) is slightly smaller. Does that mean a wrench that fit the old one won't fit the new one? I can't tell from the picture, does the new one (1WPE-14-302) have an O-ring gasket or a flat one? Would the old one and the new "MV" one use the same size wrench?

Unfortunately they require a different wrench size. I bought one of these adjustable oil filter wrenches and it works well when I get one that's been over-tightened.

I'm not at home but from what I remember it's an O-ring gasket.

Originally Posted By: Analyzer

You're absolutely right, I just called my Mazda dealer and they've said the new model that you recieved is the newest superceded part, but my dealership hasn't yet received them and currently have the PE01-14-302B. I'm going to head over and buy a few before the newest part number arrives. Have you been able to see whether the newest filter is still made by Tokyo Roki and being manufactured in another country?

The newest filter 1WPE-14-302 is stamped made in Thailand but I cannot say who makes it. It does not say Tokyo-roki on it but of course this doesn't mean they don't make it as they do have a couple of plants in Thailand.

Use the Wix
smile.gif

You can also see the gasket is different. The old one has an O-ring, while the new one has the square gasket.

No ADBV ... strange, since it looked like the older filter for the same car did have the ADBV.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
No ADBV ... strange, since it looked like the older filter for the same car did have the ADBV.

As far as I know none of the SkyActiv oil filters have had an ADBV due to the specific oil pressure requirements of the engine and the filter's inverted position at the bottom of the engine.

Quote:
....As far as I know none of the SkyActiv oil filters have had an ADBV due to the specific oil pressure requirements of the engine and the filter's inverted position at the bottom of the engine.

I buy the base/thread end up and engine location portion of your of that thought, pressure requirement, nah.

Having a filter adbv should have no effect on the oiling system other than preventing filter drain back. As long as Mazda is ok specing no adbv for the filter, then using one without an adbv will work fine. However, though likely unnecessary adding an adbv wouldn't hurt anything.

Hence why I prefaced my comment with 'As far as I know...'.

I'm simply going by all the noise out there regarding these filters and the variable oil pressure regimes that the SkyActiv engines operate under.

Maybe the ADBV makes no difference, maybe it does ? It certainly would be nice to get a definitive answer on this but Wix did design their 57002 filter specifically for SkyActiv that does not have an ADBV.

I'll say this, 'if' having an adbv makes any difference at all in said oiling system pressure afaik it would be a first in that regard. Several aftermarket filters posted here have added an adbv after some time, even though the oem had none. GM is such an example.

As long as Mazda is comfortable with no adbv then it's fine no matter the reason. And aftermarket filters are generally reverse engineered from the oem, especially at first, so Wix not having adbv is no surprise to me. And it costs more per unit to add an adbv where one is not required by the oem.

In any case having no vested interest, either way and/or reasoning makes no difference to me.

I'm pretty sure the new filter is a DENSO filter (based on the first part of the other part number written on the filter - BT115010). Punching that # into Google comes up with several other examples of DENSO oil filters which start with that # then have a separate four digit code suffix depending upon the specific model. They also have a few different manufacturing plants in Thailand.

From what I can gather the quality of DENSO oil filters looks pretty solid but of course it all depends on what the OEM specifies to the manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

As far as I know none of the SkyActiv oil filters have had an ADBV due to the specific oil pressure requirements of the engine and the filter's inverted position at the bottom of the engine.

I could see no need for the ADBV with a filter in that mounting position, but only if the engine's oiling system is such that will not drain the oil galleries above the filter down when shut off.

Many engines still require the ADBV with base up mounted filters because gravity wants to push the oil above the filter back down to the sump, which could leave some of the oiling system drained out after sitting for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back